Vinyl Boxes

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mischmerz

Vinyl Boxes

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:24 pm

Fellow trolls - (hope this is the right forum)

as some of you already know, my company is producing a remastered (from metal parts) Glenn Miller release of 10 songs on 78rpm vinyl. We are now in the process of selecting the manufacturer of our boxes. We asked for quotes from several "box makers" in the U.S. and got something in the range of US$ 20 - US$ 25 .. per box. *Gasp* We're talking card board box with an image printed on top. I couldn't believe that and went ahead to ask international suppliers - which quoted around US$ 1.50 per box (with a tad stiffer material, 70point vs. 60point) - much more budget friendly. Now - I can't believe that national suppliers are not able to produce a card board box even close to internationally competitive rates - so - what am I missing? All suppliers got the same sample image, the same measurements - overseas companies (I asked 5 companies for a quote) quote so much less than national companies - what am I overlooking?
rollofone_box_b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aussie0zborn

Re: Vinyl Boxes

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:38 am

Many factors come into play.....

Automation
Lower labour costs
Higher efficiency
Better buying power for raw materials
High volume output

... and maybe a combination of all the above.

Notice how all of Germany's record factories are in rural towns rather than cities? Lower overheads. Germany's largest plant is located in what was once East Germany and setting up manufacturing in a remote location such as that allowed them to receive government grants to create employment in the area. So not every manufacturer has the same overheads and prices won't always be the same.

But that huge price difference is still hard to comprehend, isn't it? Good luck with your project.

cassdetroit

Re: Vinyl Boxes

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:23 pm

did you reach out to folks who specifically make boxes for vinyl records? music product packaging printers? i've ordered boxes quite a few times domestically and usually quite complex printing/coating/finishing involved and don't think i've gotten above $5-6 per box. feel free to PM if you'd like to talk about who you got quotes from privately.