Creating fades for side splits from CD master

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

prof msg

Creating fades for side splits from CD master

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm sometimes in the position of creating side splits for first time vinyl releases from a master that contains continuous program across the side split(no silence between tracks). Often the most natural fade involves tacking some of the beginning of B onto the end of A and vice versa. Sometimes this feels like taking too much license, but the alternative of creating an abrupt fade, results in content missing from the vinyl release. I have done no fade at all on request, but it usually sounds wrong to me.

Does anyone here have a guideline for this problem in cases when there is no artist or other interested party available to make the decision?

-kp

jjgolden

Re: Creating fades for side splits from CD master

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 am

In that situation where you're "on your own" without any instructions, I would make a digital file of the fade and ftp it to the person in charge of the project. (or the person paying)
Let them hear it and tell you it's ok or not. Now you've reached out and done you're best. If nobody responds, tell them you can't cut it unless you get approval on that fade.

JJG