Modifing Westrex 3D cutting heads to fit older record lathes

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

The_House_Records

Modifing Westrex 3D cutting heads to fit older record lathes

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:48 am

My dad found an old record lathe from the 1930's in his friends house, and it looks like he is willing to give it away. Since it's from the 1930's, i'm assuming it's in mono. I was wondering if I could modify it to fit a Westrex 3D cutting head or another cutting head to cut with. Also, how much do those things cost, I assume they are fairly cheap because they are from the 1950's and in used condition (most likely) but I don't know.

Thanks.

markrob

Re: Modifing Westrex 3D cutting heads to fit older record la

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:05 am

Hi,

It depends on the lathe. It could be anything from a consumer Wilcox-Gay to a Scully. As far as finding a Westex cheap, forget about that. They are still very desirable. Given what Presto heads are bringing these days, you can expect to pay a big premium. Also consider that you need much more than just the head as the Westrex was a complete cutting system including the cutting amp and the feedback electronics. You would be best served by starting with a moving iron non-feedback mono head and getting your feet wet before looking to acquire a professional system.

Mark

The_House_Records

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:40 am

OK, thanks. Do you know of any cheaper stereo cutting heads?

markrob

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi,

If low cost is your budget, not really. If you insist on stereo, you would be best to roll your own. There are many great threads here to help you. First thing is to determine what lathe you have available. That will dictate your options.

Mark