edison cylinder / maple leaf rag / ozzie nelson / 1937

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

edison cylinder / maple leaf rag / ozzie nelson / 1937

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:49 am

experimenting with a new recorder, this is a transfer from a 78 rpm disc recorded on a 1920 brown wax recording blank. this blank has an anomaly in the wax so i use these for doing test recordings. this is recorded at 160 rpm.

EpicenterBryan

Re: edison cylinder / maple leaf rag / ozzie nelson / 1937

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:05 am

Hey Victrola Guy,
I'm just curious if you have ever played around with doing EQ prior to cutting to get these gorgeous machines to sound better on playback. I love the look of these, but if playback sounded significantly better it would put them over the top rather than minimally tolerable.

No diss intended. I get the interest in these machines on several levels. But why not make it sound better especially if you are cutting fresh blanks?

Bryan

THEVICTROLAGUY

Re: edison cylinder / maple leaf rag / ozzie nelson / 1937

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:34 am

unfortunately the cylinder is REALLY limited in frequency response, basically the same as a battery powered cassette tape recorder. 200hz to 4,000hz with a few transients in the 5,000hz range, but deaf to anything above that, bass is limited as this is an acoustic recording, the diaphragm is glued directly to the cutting stylus and is driven completely by sound waves, efficient it aint. through a horn this actually sounds like an acoustic disc recording.