Neumann /Flokason AM44/ Pitch13/ Magnetovolt Electronics

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jesusfwrl

Listen to the sound on vinyl record

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:30 pm

jesus-MCI-Lathe-cropped.jpg
For those of you wondering what this system actually sounds like, you can hear it for yourself in several commercially released records, such as:

http://www.naxatras.bandcamp.com

http://www.pttd.bandcamp.com

More soon...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Neumann /Flokason AM44/ Pitch13/ Magnetovolt Electronics

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:17 am

norberto

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:22 am

Could someone inform the measurements of the body neumann am32 am making a more do not know the stockings norberto Brasil

jesusfwrl

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Here's a video, produced by one of our customers at Magnetic Fidelity, showing a brief overview of the process of cutting masters directly from tape, using the AM44, fitted with a Caruso cutter head, driven by modified/optimised Caruso preamp boards (my own work), Magnetovolt high-end cutting amplifiers (developed by me), TT15 main motor, Pitch13 (running in manually variable pitch mode in this video), 16" Neumann-type vacuum platter and a lot of prototype parts.
This lathe has been an exciting test bed, on which we are constantly trying out new parts, exotic ideas, perform loads of conclusive and inconclusive measurements and improve it all the time, piece by piece. Our knowledge, understanding and experience of what works and what doesn't work on a disk recording lathe, as well as our constant exploration of how to achieve the utmost in precision and ultimate performance has greatly been furthered through this process. By now we have stacks and piles of small and not so small prototype parts and huge shelves full of folders with test reports, measurements, designs, drawings, and notes regarding all the experiments conducted on this lathe.

On this video you can see the Telefunken M15A in action, this one is the rec/repro version, not the preview head version, reproducing a reel of 1/4" tape via remote control, which I built and attached to the lathe furniture. The signal goes to the Thermionic Culture Green Fat Bastard, custom-built for Magnetic Fidelity to my specifications and design, based on my prior experience with the standard circuit on the stock Fat Bustard, optimizing this one for disk mastering use.
Then we have the Magnetovolt Sideways, an analog mastering-grade M/S encoder/decoder of my own design, which enables any signal processing unit to be used in M/S mode rather than in normal stereo L/R mode. In this case, it allows equalization and compression to be applied only to the lateral or only to the vertical component of the stylus motion, for precise control of the groove excursions. The equalizer is a Manley Massive Passive Mastering, and the compressor is a Manley Variable-Mu Mastering. Then there's another Sideways to decode back to L/R, and then we're off to the cutting amplifier rack, custom input stage of my own design to interface the high level balanced signal to the lower level unbalanced signal that the Caruso preamp works best with, input metering and a scope in X-Y on the feedback monitor outputs.
The stylus heating current is supplied by the Magnetovolt Curreg, a current-regulated power supply unit of my own design, another example of the several circuits I developed during my time at Magnetovolt.

Sadly, Magnetovolt folded last December, so the Magnetovolt products are no longer in production. Fortunately, the know-how and experience remain, so while there is an active interest in high quality disk recording equipment, I will keep on designing them, either on behalf of interested manufacturers, or even building one-off units for anyone needing a piece of equipment that is not available elsewhere.
My personal involvement with the AM44 project now continues outside Magnetovolt.

If you are interested in purchasing an AM44 or other type of disk recording/mastering system, please do get in touch and make sure to visit our new website, http://www.agnewanalog.com.

socialroots

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:41 am

Sad to hear bout Magnetovolt,but in life as 1 door closes thousands more open up.
Checked out your new site...wow,great looking n informative right off the bat. Everything listed thus far makes me feel like im kid inna candy store! just want to thank you for always sharing knowledge and experiences here in Lathetrolls forum ,and i always look forward to reading your posts! Good luck on your new venture outside of Magnetovolt,but i know you dont need luck cuz you got plenty knowledge,experience and technique.
Maximum respect,
Patrick

jesusfwrl

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Thank you for the kind and encouraging post, Patrick.

Regarding my previous post, I received a lot of emails asking the same questions, so I should offer a clarification here to avoid any misinterpretation of my post:

The AM44 is not in production yet. It is still in development. At the moment, the only thing I would be able to offer would be one of the development prototypes, which will be quite different to the final product. When this goes, there will most likely be no more systems until the development work is done and it becomes available as a product.
If you want to buy multiple identical systems, you will have to wait until the AM44 is properly in production. I cannot offer multiple identical systems at the moment.
But, if you want a one-of-a-kind system with custom prototype parts, I may be able to help.