Dashpot on Fairchild suspension

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jesusfwrl

Dashpot on Fairchild suspension

Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:42 am

Has anybody here ever installed a dashpot on a Fairchild suspension?

I have had some vertical oscillation issues come and go when cutting PVC and got myself a dashpot. Installing it would require quite a bit of creativity... If anybody has done this before, I would appreciate some pictures to get inspired.

I don't want to drill the carriage, so I am hoping to find an easier way to mount it in existing infrastructure. The cutterhead brackets are my own constructions anyway, so these I'm happy to drill all they need.
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com

Babooino

Re: Dashpot on Fairchild suspension

Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:07 pm

interested also!! :mrgreen:

jesusfwrl

Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:35 pm

DSC01841_zpsenilnd8k.JPG
9bb5d4d0-a2d2-4683-af22-f14e7e3c5499_zpsiw20wl4d.JPG
7e7ba269-12dd-4fd1-b1ad-b86d595c9071_zpsz8ryiu5n.JPG
So, it appears nobody has ever done this before...

So here is my first attempt at it. I drilled and tapped some threads on the the carriage, added a custom made bracket where the dashpot sits , and added another bracket on the cutterhead adaptor, which holds the piston rod. It works perfect.

This is one of the adjustable air dashpots sold by KisstheGroove on lathetrolls. Really handy little gadgets. Very easy to adjust.

Babooino what lathe have you got?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mossboss

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:35 am

Well done, keep at it, stereo head next I suppose
Best
Chris

jesusfwrl

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:47 am

Stereo head is already here, I'm making the adaptor at the moment. A few more things to sort out before I go stereo. I will keep on posting about the progress. I'm also working on some pretty awesome disk cutting electronics, cutting amplifier, pre-amp and so on.

mossboss

Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Great However there is no need to re invent the wheel mate Have we not got enough already to do the job? Still its good to see the enthusiasm still there, keep at it
Best
Chris

opcode66

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:49 pm

I have to agree with Mossboss to some extent. Caruso preamp is very flexible and solid basis to build from. You can tweak it and combine it with many other components to make a rock solid system.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

jesusfwrl

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:57 am

I wasn't referring to the electronics so much. There is a few mechanical bits and pieces that need to be sorted out on the lathe before I go ahead with the stereo stuff.

When the mechanical stuff is sorted, I am going to start with the Caruso pre-amps and a PA power amplifier that I have here to get started, and then take it from there.

The Caruso preamp is great for what it is, as simple, low-cost pre-amp that is easy to use and will easily get you started.

I am not trying to re-invent a simple preamp circuit, the electronics I am designing are meant as a very high quality upgrade, for those who may find such a thing useful. It is awesome that new heads are now in development, it really leads the way for a lot more related products.

mossboss

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:48 pm

I suppose each and every one in this game has some views of the way things ought to be done
When is all said and done despite the plethora of equipment related to our art out there, always some great ideas as well as innovation happens
Having said that, even though not much has taken place for many many years in the art of cutting a lacquer the lathes did reach an extremely high level of sophistication, delivering what was expected with ongoing improvements over many years
Keeping in mind that people making these lathes where doing it for at least 50 years before the demise of the medium its not hard to see the collective input from the field was very much instrumental so as to institute improvements
In the last few years some guys like our Todd here, opcode, have taken upon themselves to improve the functionality of the VMS and done a great job to boot, no doubt many a good thing will come out of there as well
Manufacturers of lathes in the past continuously improved their products to provide existing and new gear with more than enough to do the job and do it extremely well
If one looks around at pro cutting studios two - three machine dominate, one cutting head quite prominent with some not many of another brand
Listen to some records cut back in the days when the format was it
They are brilliant, they will pass just about any audio test one can possible put them to, not all of them of course but some cuts are right up there
Some esoteric collectors look out for specific cuts of a particular release by a particular cutting guy
Unfortunately this is not the case now days, there are so many releases with small runs which makes it hard for fans to seek out a particular cut by so and so since the market is driven by small runs individually numbered or limited runs
In essence people today buy these limited runs than trade them when the price is pushed up due to their collection value
Its great
So we stand by to see what you come up with Ilia, it has to be better than already exist man OK
Please do Keep at it
No doubt we will find out soon enough
Best
Chris

Babooino

Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:18 am

i have a 523 i've been restoring for a couple years. talk about a slow process.. :!:

jesusfwrl

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Chris, well said.
My intention is to make something that will be better in some way to existing products, otherwise it wouldn't be worth the effort. It is meant to be innovative.

Babooino that is a real beauty. The carriage is very similar to mine as far as I can remember, so a dashpot can be mounted pretty much the same way.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:21 am

to be moved. from "secrets" forum.