Stepper Motor Noise & Mono Head

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Shuflar

Stepper Motor Noise & Mono Head

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Hello All,

I'm a LONG time lurker. I have been extremely impressed with everyone's work. My ideal sound is LoFi Mono emboss, but still at -6db or better.

The issue of NEMA 14, 17, etc. motor noise has been covered here before but not in the way I'm attempting to do things. I'm going after a rotating armature vs the traditional lathe. I'm still building the head and awaiting parts, so I was curious how bad the stepper motor whine would be as it is direct drive - zero damping. This setup would lay across a Numark TTX or similar table.

NEMA 14 1.8 degree with 1:100 Planetary Gear (.018 degree rotation per step) *no micro stepping yet
400 Watt D Class Mono Amp Board with Misc EQ

I have collected several drivers, to test each. BCT-2 45 Transducer, Visaton BF32, Visaton EX45S and a few more. Sifis1983 had almost the exact "acceptable" results I like... but at low levels. https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6097&p=38218&hilit=paintbrush#p38218

Mounting a stylus directly to the driver in some set screw fashion is ideal. However, it looks like a Mono setup could still benefit from a torque tube style axis. So the driver would push at 180 degrees and the stylus would meet a pivot point below. In many ways a 45/45 driver Stereo setup seems easier to me - but I love mono!

Again, thanks to all of you for giving me so many great ideas to try! Sifis1983... I'll look at swapping my Arm for a paintbrush!