Vinyl-R — How to record songs to PVC/polysterene?

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

TL7

Vinyl-R — How to record songs to PVC/polysterene?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 am

Hello.

I am passionate about old technology, experimenting and DIY. That's why I would like to record custom music at home.

Where can I get PVC-R (recordable) and Polysterene-R?
Polysterene is a cheap, low quality alternative for PVC, but I would like to test sound quality and other things.

The recording/playback device should have following features if possible:

* Manual speed setting. (if possible: not just 33, 45, 78 but also custom speeds such as 120 and 5).
* Reverse recording possible.
* Manual grave-in depth setting (less depth allows for more writing cycles).
* Manual recording density setting (distance between spiral circle lines).
* Audio in/outputs for recording and playback.
* Interchangeable parts such as needle.
* If possible: battery powered operation.
* If possible: CAV (constant angular velocity) and CLV (constant linear velocity) modes.

I would really appreciate your help and clues.

ilium

Re: Vinyl-R — How to record songs to PVC/polysterene?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 pm

I think it's safe to say that there is nothing that does all of this and anything available that does many of these things will cost you tens of thousands of dollars.

But if you could settle for a portable (not battery powered) 7" recorder that records 33 or 45 then there have been many Vanrock/Atom recorders for sale lately for around $2.5-3 k

TL7

Thank you for clarification.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:14 am

Thank you for informing and clarifying me.

Is there now anything affordable that can at least play and record to PVC/polyterene-R from AUX in/output (not necessarily 3.5mm because I have adapters.) + interchangeable parts for repair? DC power input instead of direct wall socket MAINS AC would also be desireable, but not as important.
Can('t) I build anything at home? Does not need to be excellent quality necessarily.
(Lower) Speed settings would also not be bad, so that I can record more, where sacrificing quality is no big deal. Damage can be invesitated easilier. 33rpm is good, but manual throttling could be useful.

I will also attempt multiple writing cycles on the same Vinyl (treating like Vinyl-RW).

[Completion to my previous posts: Reverse playback should also be possible for testing, how harmful it is, if the tested vinyl/PVC/Polysterene rotates counter-clockwise (into the needle.).].
Last edited by TL7 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TL7

Recording speed.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 am

Some modern Vinyl recorders support digital conversion directly; at high speed.
But I can recreate that advantage by playing the music via AUX input to the recorder using increased speed/pitch.

If I want a 33rpm record but save time during recording, I set 66rpm and play the music via AUX input at twice ﴾×2﴿ the speed and pitch to compensate it but take advantage from the increased speed.

Like on optical discs, increased recording speed will sacrifice quality of course. Vinyl/Polysterene has no digital error correction to compensate. But that does not matter, because that is just for fun/testing purposes. :mrgreen:

markrob

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:26 am

Hi,

As you stated, you will have poorer results cutting at high speeds using sped up audio. You will also need to drive the head with more power to achieve the same recorded levels. Higher frequencies require more current to the head to cause the stylus to accelerate. That implies more power. The only advantage to this method is that the record time is cut in half. Why do you want to do that? If anything, consider half speed cutting.

Mark

Aussie0zborn

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:52 pm

I think you're way off track. First thing to do is drop the "-R". There is no such thing and it isn't possible.

Vice Fiori

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Aussie0zborn wrote:I think you're way off track. First thing to do is drop the "-R". There is no such thing and it isn't possible.
WHY NOT? Angulo Recording is soooo much ahead of all of us, he create the formula to not make a simple PVC-R, but a insane PVC-RW, remember? :lol:
(until someone think in buy this "mans" thing: dont, it's a joke, this man is a scammer and he fake everything, DO-NOT-BUY-ANYTHING-FROM-HIM ok?

fredbissnette

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:36 pm

the idea is to make permanent archives of analog modulated audio
Instagram @styluspressurerecords