My stereo cutterhead build.

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sameal

My stereo cutterhead build.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:04 pm

I don't have a name for it yet, i usually name things after they are built and functional.

Im also not looking to bring anything into production, there's plenty of that going on, i couldn't compete if i wanted too, and i don't wanna, because im a terrible buisnessman. Im in it purely to have fun, see if i can do it, and make a stereo cutterhead for myself.

Disclaimers aside, i have a lot of work to do. I move at probably a snails pace to some, but i usually have more then one audio project going on at a time.

Anyway, i found some aluminum pieces i think might work, and an amp that probably won't, but i want to try it anyway. The amp is a bogen E-75, that might have been used as a boat anchor at some point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sameal

Re: My stereo cutterhead build.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:05 pm

She so nasty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sameal

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Dim bulb, bad power switch, ungrounded cable, dead pilot light, no surprises

sameal

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Oh no

sat159p1

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:21 am

Cutting head look very promising! good luck and post something here when its done!

sameal

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks! Not bad for found parts!

But the hard work starts now, so we shall see. I think i might try a few different drivers, depending on the materials im able to source.

sameal

Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:41 pm

I'm back to playing with this idea in-between other projects on hold for parts.

I think I got the v-spring mount idea kinda nailed down and the pushrods for the speakers. I found these military connecter pins that fit into the candy funnels perfectly, which I think I'll dab them in some silicone and press fit them. I thought about a feedback coil, but I'm not sure where to start on that.

I figured I'd just cut a half moon out of the aluminum bit I put on the exciter bracket and mount the v spring with some machine screws into the aluminum.

farmersplow

Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:39 pm

You already have the aluminum angles. Also the speakers and a beautiful aluminum funnel.
OK, the amp needs some affection and love, but then maybe it can give some love back and do what it was born to do: Amplify. And if he no longer wants, there is always the second education as a boat anchor.

I wish you much fun and joy on your journey to the cutting head! :D
Keep us posted, I'm already curious how your next steps look like. :wink:

P.S.: When I was starting out, a smart and experienced markrob told me to leave the feedback coil alone for now. Gather experience and then take further steps. I did not want to listen to him! (unfortunately :oops: ). Then I started from scratch and now after two years (6000 hours later) it's my turn to experiment with feedback.

farmersplow

Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:44 pm

P.S.: When I was starting out, a smart and experienced markrob told me to leave the feedback coil alone for now. Gather experience and then take further steps. I did not want to listen to him! (unfortunately :oops: ). Then I started from scratch and now after two years (6000 hours later) it's my turn to experiment with feedback.
[/quote]

... or do you already have experience with feedback? - then forget my advice :)

sameal

Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:46 pm

I haven't touched the amp in awhile. I might just use a solid state instead. I figured the v-spring and pushrod part was first.

I have no experience with feedback. Just some reading. I haven't wound a coil either.

sameal

Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:21 pm

Might have to name this one Frankenstein's monster, what with the bolts all sticking out.

Had some failed aluminum threading on the mount block, which I should know better, but I did anyway. So that'll have to get fixed. I'm thinking of just popping some rivet nuts in there instead of cutting a whole new steel plate. The bolt holes all lined up great so something HAD to go wrong. I'm thinking of picking up a disc/belt sander to clean up all the rough edges.

sameal

Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:09 pm

Revised some build points, rivnuts work way better then tapping aluminum, but the quality of the threads in them leave much to be desired. I also should have measured the mounting holes I put in, as they are starting to get in the way of one another. But I guess that's what version 2 is for.

On to the hard part!

CHoffman

Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:44 pm

FWIW, I like Helicoils when I have threading problems, but I also use a lot of PEM nuts as they make every style imaginable.
Amazon, Digikey and Mouser are all good sources.