changing cartridge for audax tonearm?

Turntables, tonearms, preamps, amps, cables, monitor speakers. What do you use to play back your one-off dubplates or pressed records? (related topics, too.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

changing cartridge for audax tonearm?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:18 am

I'm not too familiar with playback systems, especially older ones.
I acquired a 6N the other day with (it seems) this Audax tonearm on it.

Which modern cartridge would work with this arm?
Does anyone have the same arm, and is willing to share their setup?
Thanks!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Angus McCarthy

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I've got an older N-80 playback arm on my 6N. The 500ohm N-20 cartridge/head on this one is pretty much a miniature version of the Audax heads that came with the K-series - that is, a solid unit attached directly by the thumbscrew.

tubeactive

Re: changing cartridge for audax tonearm?

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:24 pm

I have that arm, too. The long one, KT-16 is very good for a mono setup and okay for stereo as well. If you want solely a mono cart, I highly recommend the GE Variable Reluctance model RPX-050, known as the Triple Play with its' red knob atop the arm.

That small round "cover" on the golden Audax headshell would easily pop up to allow easy installation of the GE pickup. Styli for all speed discs are still easily available for the GE pickups. Make sure they are "golden" in color, though; do not allow the silver types. The silver ones suck out some output due to their steel construction. The golden ones use mainly brass, non-magnetic, except for the necessary magnetic parts. A good feature of these styli is that when you replace the stylus, you also replace the rubber suspension.

The GE RPX-050 needs 5-6 grams of tracking force; unfortunately. But, the sound is very worthy. GEs later "Triple Play" mono cartridge, the VR-II needs only 4 grams to track. However, the VR-II has an "in your face" sonic signature; unlike the sweet RPX-050. The VR-II might also like some extra weight added at the headshell. The RPX is already heavy enough.

For stereo carts, there are many choices. One of my faves is the Pickering Stanton 380; a classic made from 1959 through the 1960s. Another choice might be most of the early stereo era pickups; except the ones that can track below 2 grams. The first Shure stereo cart, the M3D is a decent one. The Shure is not as sweet as the Pickering Stanton 380 or Pickering U38. Another great choice for that arm are the early stereo vintage Elacs. Their first stereo cart was the Elac 200/210 with round bodies. Using the same styli is their next cart, pentagonal shaped 222; a real sonic amazement. Tracking at 3-4 grams, the 222 will give any moving coil cart a run for the money. Yes, the 222 is super fast and detailed, despite it's heavy tracking force.

Everyone's "go to" cartridge should be the Pickering V-15 and the later Stanton 500. The V-15 came out in the mid to late '60s. Styli are interchangeable with the Stanton 500 ! That means any speed disc is easily accommodated by stylus choice. These are available very cheaply ! While these both would like a bit of extra weight atop them in the headshell, the V-15 sounds much sweeter than the 500. Both can track at 2+ grams. The Audax arm pivot quality might require 3 grams though...

There are many more choices, but these mentioned I know and trust...