Using a Stanton ST 150

Turntables, tonearms, preamps, amps, cables, monitor speakers. What do you use to play back your one-off dubplates or pressed records? (related topics, too.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

flask

Using a Stanton ST 150

Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:29 am

I am fortunate to have just purchased a Stanton ST 150. I Play my favorite records on this player. I am really impressed with it so far. The reason for this post is to start getting to know some of the members on this site. I am learning from all of you and I am grateful that everyone is willing to share their knowledge here. If anyone has any modification ideas for the Stanton ST 150 please let me know. I am always looking for improvement.

Thank you all..flask

Presto Repairs

Re: Using a Stanton ST 150

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Of the super OEM turntables available - The Stanton St & Str8 150 win hands down

Have you looked into isolating platters and feet?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191188693720&alt=web
Presto Repairs - Repair/Restoration service for Presto Recording Corp cutterheads and other similar styled brands such as Audax, RCA & Universal

flask

Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:55 am

I have not looked into this idea. But I am now.

Presto Repairs

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:02 am

Which cart are you using?

I'm no cartridge expert , but of the stanton carts ive used, I found the 6800 HP to be the loudest and most durable...

The 500 AL II is very highly rated but isn't as loud...

The 5200 SK was a bit ordinary...

About 6 or 7 years ago I bought a pair of ortofon concord pro s carts - I used them for about a week, then sold them and went straight back to the 6800 carts...

"They looked great but just didnt compare"
Presto Repairs - Repair/Restoration service for Presto Recording Corp cutterheads and other similar styled brands such as Audax, RCA & Universal

dimi751

Fri May 29, 2015 7:51 am

Hi flask,

These are super oem decks very close guts as the new pioneer plx1000, I had three of these decks at one stage and I sold them all.

The stanton st150 and the str150 are great to mix with with, cutting and scratching its a djs wet dream but have you pulled one appart?

Just plastic on plastic very cheaply made and the deck produced alot of feedback when stylus is stationary on the record. You can't replacing the the pitch fader when it's shitty
Because it's soldered on the main pcb.

Look don't get me wrong, I had the decks for a year but quality is not there also if you using for cutted purposes the torque is great very strong torque I think it's 4.5kg and it got 16 pole motor.

With the money from the stanton I bought 2 technics 1200m3d love them robust heavy and they absorb a lot of vibrations, I'm not using them for cutt just mixing tracks.

Technics 1200 opinion

Thick Rubberised base
Can swap pitch fader when is breaks
Very low feedback noise bump the deck and base obserb noises better.
Quality is better
1.5kg torque
33/45rpm

Stanton
Thin Plastic base
Pitch fader soldered on main pcb
Very noisy feedback is loud when high vol is apply, bump the deck come through on the speakers.
4.5kg torque ( 16 pole motor)
33/45/78rpm

So for cutted option I can not give because I don't tested with the cutted system.

Dimi

flask

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:10 am

Thank you for the insight on theses Turntables. I still love them...

Ferrograph

Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:55 am

Are we talking about the same decks? I have two ST150's and while I don't disagree that there has been some "cost saving" they are still superb decks, and extremely heavy. The isolation of the feet is highly effective to the point where tapping the surface they are stood on does not make it through to the output.

I would differ in opinion about the base. Yes it's plastic but it's pretty thick and has a rubber coating.

Regarding the noise - while it doesn't have a earth connection you need to connect preamp earth/gnd to the TT gnd which you can do by using the digital output RCA gnd. It also has earth lift switch if using an external phono stage. Lifted/not lifted will depend on your setup.

The built in phono stage is followed by some digital filtering and DSP, the extent of which is undocumented. What is obvious though is that it does some noise gating and pitch shifting to keep the key of the music when using the variable speed. I've also seen evidence of subsonic filtering.

Finally my only really complaint is that the arm bearings appear to have some play in them which can resonate in a really ugly fashion. I checked several samples of identical arms across various OEM models and they all had the same play, even a brand new arm assembly. It's not clear if this is by design or poor alignment in the factory. You can however carefully adjust it out with the right tools and then the arm performs quite wonderfully.