MICRO SEIKI BL91 L

Turntables, tonearms, preamps, amps, cables, monitor speakers. What do you use to play back your one-off dubplates or pressed records? (related topics, too.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

socialroots

MICRO SEIKI BL91 L

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:51 am

Greetings to all,new member here,been doing alot of reading the last little while,just trying to absord all the info i can in the hopes of putting something together in terms of a CD embossing lathe. i live in a very rural area,with limited access to equipment,even simple hf tweeters took me one month to scrounge up,basically looking in friends junk boxes,so have started work on my mono embossing head. Today ,after putting out the word to friends bout one mnth ago,i finally gota donated unused turntable to start experimenting on,dont have much info on this TT, its MICRO SEIKI BL91L ,very heavy,massive ,thick platter,no tone arm ,seems vety basic really. So to the point, anyone knows anything about this TT? i would like to know if im gonna waste my time trying to use this for my lathe? still waiting on getting a SL 1210,1200,but until then,this is all i got!
Any knowledge shared would be much appreciated,
happy holidays,big shout out from Taiwan!
P.

studiorp

Re: MICRO SEIKI BL91 L

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:38 pm

Hello, welcome in forum.
The specs and the manual can be found here : http://www.vinylengine.com/library/micro-seiki/bl-91.shtml
Now I don't know what's the difference among the two models BL-91 and BL-91 L .

What overhead lathe do you use for experiments ?

socialroots

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Studiorp,thanks so much for the link up,i have yet to work out a overhead scheme,just in the process of trying figuring out the embossing head,acquiring the parts,lots of reading,planning,baby steps! i really like the lathe you put together,especially the French design overhead,seems to be a rare thing,as i see mostly Prestos in here.. would like to find a lathe to buy,but that seems to be a test in patience! until then ,i will just try to be creative within my limitations! Funny,and ironic that im from a small little island that was at one time the home of some 50 record manufacturing,mostly ilegal,some legal. last production seems to be up til the late 90,s,but somehow i cant find a record lathe,i know for a fact that there were guys here building homemade cutters,just making lofi copies of foreign music for selling in the night markets,those guys seem to be ghosts,cuz i cant find anyone to sort me out with any equipment or info,thus began a journey thats lead me to this site! Thanks for sharing,i would be lost without all this info!

studiorp

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:29 am

Yes, it's true, here there are many Usa lathes, but European, very few unfortunately. About the patience I have lost 7 years for have the right occasion here in Italy, because my land isn't so lover of record cutting process as Usa, Uk, or other parts of this world. Yes, there is many people that love play the vinyl record, but cut vinyl isn't as go to supermarket...

studiorp

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:43 am

In the meantime, another Poltz lathe : http://www.hifi-antique.com/view_product.php?product=12261

socialroots

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:48 am

Studiorp,oh i love that Pierre Clement head,que bella! i would love something so stylish like that lathe,i imagine if there were Italiano lathe builds,the machinery would be even much more artistic looking! my french is not very good,especially reading,but its not for sale,o 0.00 ,que significa ,es gratis ?jejeje! cuanto vale una aparato asi? mas o menos?
i studied more about my Micro Seiki today,seems like a very well engineered TT ,but im questioning the torque power right now,but the platter is heavy and precise,pesa un monton ,22kg! pesa como una bolsa de cemento,que bestia! no tonearm ,so i cant even enjoy as a playback TT at the moment.
Last edited by socialroots on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

studiorp

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:53 am

On Vinylengine manual there is written that the platter has a moment of inertia of 600 kg/cm2...

socialroots

Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:07 am

Studiorp, couldnt download the manual ,but what do those values mean ? is that close to an SL 1200? or not even close? from what i read from posts here,it seems that the minimum would be to use an SL 1200/1210,but alot of people say its not really enough torque to cut. Im just thinking about embossing on laser disk and CD,because there is so many that people through away here in Taiwan,free is best for at this moment mi intiendes?
what motor or TT do you use at the moment custom lathe that i see in your posts? what have youtried before your present set up?
Feliz Navidad

studiorp

Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:36 am

Check your private message, thanks.