New to Embossing and Lathetrolls.

Turntables, tonearms, preamps, amps, cables, monitor speakers. What do you use to play back your one-off dubplates or pressed records? (related topics, too.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

AnalogueDan

New to Embossing and Lathetrolls.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi all,

I am embossing audio to blank cds using my dads embossing head he built. I am using a NAD stereo Amplifier 3140 and running the vacuum sound RIAA plugin in logic. When I play back the resul,t the embossed background noise is low, but the audio from the music has so much bass far too much and the overall listening quality is not high. sounds very flat and boxy. What are the essential tools you need in the chain going to the cutter and in what order?, what are the standard settings I need to apply like eq that would help, compression etc?. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

piaptk

Re: New to Embossing and Lathetrolls.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 am

Are you sure the head works correctly? Does it cut a lacquer well? What kind of needles do you use? If you are getting low noise, it's more likely the problem is in the cutterhead, especially if it is homemade.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

markrob

Re: New to Embossing and Lathetrolls.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:37 am

Hi,

I don't know the RIAA software you are using. Are you sure its the encoding version of the RIAA and not the decode? If you listen to the audio after processing, the highs should be boosted and the lows cut. If not, you are using the wrong EQ. Aside form that, you still need to EQ out the main mechanical system resonance and correct for the general shape of the open loop head response. No moving coil head will sound correct with just the RIAA EQ applied. You can do this by ear or use some analysis tools to correct the overall response.

Mark