Lurkers' thread. Say hi once, OK?

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Lurkers' thread. Say hi once, OK?

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:54 pm

EDIT in March 2013: This topic is a bit redundant now, as I manually approve memberships by email. Still, not a bad place to introduce yourself! --SE

Short version:

If you are a member, but you have never posted anywhere on this board, yet you want to maintain your account: Write something in this thread. Like, the word "hi" or something. Make it so your all-time posting count is at least "1."

Long version:

OK, we are probably migrating this whole site very soon.

Here's the problem. We have 575 members who we know are real humans because they posted somewhere on the board at least once, in an on-topic way. As a result, they have a "post count" of at least 1.

We also have over 10,000 fakes who are spambots or scammers. Most of these accounts are not activated.

BUT (and here's the problem), we also have shy lurkers who have never posted. I know a few of you by your email addresses or websites, so I know you are for real.

Nonetheless, lurkers, if you do not post in this thread sometime in the next couple of weeks, you may get caught up in the threshing machine and your account may be destroyed. If you are zapped, any private messages you are maintaining will be zapped too. So just say a quick hi. As in, "Hi." Or whatever you wish.

This applies only to people who have NEVER posted on the board.

Thank you!

Steve
Last edited by Steve E. on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Licorne2Guerre

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Hey, I'm not a robot!!

Jordiphon

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi.
I´m Jorge, spanish "George".
I have a presto lathe with RCA cutterhead, mounted in a plinth with a Techics sp-15. I,ve just bought to Shank a long shank stylus for this head and waiting to buy an aluminum Caruso to Flo.
Planning to buy black PVC from fraggle.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi Jorge! It's great to hear from you, but you were safe anyway as you had posted 11 times before.

Licorne2Guerre has the right idea! and welcome!

ggidluck

Re: Lurkers' thread. Say hi once, OK?

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi Steve,
Keep me signed up. I probably won't post much as I don't know much about this. But if I keep reading maybe I will catch the record cutting bug. :-)

Gordon

red dog

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:22 am

Hi everyone. I too am not a robot, but I sometimes feel like one!
Bin mastering on a Neuman VMS 80 for over 10 years.
Red Dog.

basquiattag

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm still here! I'm not exactly a regular, but not a lurker either. I'm a regulurker.

2-sevens

guilty as charged

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:35 pm

I have learned a lot from this site and have not posted. I thank everyone for there knowledge and insight into the world of disc cutting. My name is Chris. I live in columbia, sc. usa. I have just finished the long process of restoring a scully lathe with a westrex 2b head. I have already cut some great dubplates with the system. I have all the variables worked out now. I worked in jamaican studio and record store in orlando florida called caribcraft 10 years ago, trevor and wayne had a presto grampian system I learned on. A guy named power from miami setup and sold the system to them. I moved away and the studio closed down. I always wanted to get back into cutting but never thought I would find a quality system for myself that I could afford. Three years ago I bought a scully from frankford wayne new york when they closed. It took a while longer to find a head and get the machine up to spec. Len at hrs rewound the westrex head for me. I did not feel I had much to add until I got my system running, now that I do I am sure I will have some questions and contributions in the future. Regards Chris

alexcount

howdy

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:46 pm

long time lurker, first time poster.
I am an analog fanatic, always dreamed of cutting my own vinyl.
Now I have a Rek-O-Kut Master Pro M-5 on a T-12 table, and just found a Fairchild f-26 lathe, which closely resembles a 199/539 lathe, but earlier, was made in a different location than all my other fairchild gear, so I think maybe WWII era... Love the fairchild gear btw, I will never give up my 412.

working on setting up a 3 phase ac inverter for my Pabst motor based tables (Rek-o-Kut N-33H, Empire 208, Fairchild 412 and my Thorens Td-124), and will definitly be working on improving the motor's in my lathes.

Hope to add something of use to this forum, I believe in giving back something to the community not just taking. I will keep you guys updated on any projects that we can all benifit from, dreaming of building a transmitting tube cutting amp ala fairchild....

Thank you all for this wonderful community.
-Alexander

JayDC

Re: howdy

Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:30 pm

alexcount wrote:long time lurker, first time poster.
I am an analog fanatic, always dreamed of cutting my own vinyl.
Now I have a Rek-O-Kut Master Pro M-5 on a T-12 table, and just found a Fairchild f-26 lathe, which closely resembles a 199/539 lathe, but earlier, was made in a different location than all my other fairchild gear, so I think maybe WWII era... Love the fairchild gear btw, I will never give up my 412.

working on setting up a 3 phase ac inverter for my Pabst motor based tables (Rek-o-Kut N-33H, Empire 208, Fairchild 412 and my Thorens Td-124), and will definitly be working on improving the motor's in my lathes.

Hope to add something of use to this forum, I believe in giving back something to the community not just taking. I will keep you guys updated on any projects that we can all benifit from, dreaming of building a transmitting tube cutting amp ala fairchild....

Thank you all for this wonderful community.
-Alexander
Alex,
It's awesome to a have motor guy around here.. It is much needed.. Hope you stick around, and show us some of the projects your working on..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

apeskalle

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year

Well, I'm maybe not so wealthy, but I'm dreaming of one day being wealthy enough to buy myself a Neumann or a Scully

cgb

Hi y'all

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:56 am

been lurking around here from time to time. I will introduce myself more thouroughly soon. I work at Dubplates & Mastering, aka D&M, Berlin, Germany.

Regards,
Christoph

Aussie0zborn

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:29 am

Welcome Christoph. Hope to hear a lot more from all you guys above.

dydge

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:09 pm

I actually don't remember if I posted before... :wink:
Thanks for the great info on vinyl cutting and related.

dydge

gauze

Fri May 13, 2011 9:17 am

I am learning and have nothing to contribute thus far.
except this post.

picturedisc

Hi !!!

Fri May 13, 2011 9:54 am

hello all,
I'm regularly on the site but I never post. Certainly because of my miserable English.:oops:
But I always answer my questions cutting.
I thank everyone who contributes

backindauk

Fri May 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Hello all,

I'm Andrew Kirkby from Sydney, Australia. I have a recording studio here in Sydney and have a small business repairing synthesizers and other vintage audio gear.

A long term fascination with vinyl has got me interested in the cutting process and i would like to learn how to cut vinyl.

It seems that there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here and i look forward to future discussions with you all.

Andrew
Andrew Kirkby

pentlandsound

Mon May 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi all,

I'm David, and I live in the Scottish Highlands. I have had a long-standing interest in everything to do with records since the age of about six.

Despite having no technical knowledge worthy of the name, I started building a very primitive lathe out of old bits and pieces about six weeks ago, and have reached the stage of making fairly lo-fi discs which are now at least a pleasure to listen to rather than an endurance test. While researching how to do it, I came across this site, and have spent hours reading and trying to pick up information. An enormous thank you to the many knowledgeable posters on here.

There is much I still have to learn, but I'm pleased to have taken the first step on a long, long march!

13yo

Hi, I Am Real

Mon May 23, 2011 2:32 pm

really! been lurking for quite awhile, thanks.

GrayI

Saskie

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi all,
I'm Ian, 25, from Saskatchewan.. Won't post much 'cause I don't know much, but hopefully I will one day!
I'm a record collector, and just stumbled across the forum while researching the process of vinyl production. I wasn't getting too far until I found this forum, and it's been very helpful, not too mention inspirational. Perhaps i will one day enter the realm of the lathe troll (only as a money losing hobby of course), but until then I lurk!

Thanks for everything.

-Ian