Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Peavey Pyramid

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:46 am

Hello, just another Rek-O-Kut enthusiast here to collect data and absorb all your knowledge, thank you

rdxblast

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I have been following lathetrolls for long time but havent created an account. Now planning to cut records by myself and I am confident this forum will have all the answers I need :)

Thanks,
Richard

enceedubya

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:56 pm

hi lathetrolls!

am interested in learning as much as possible about cutting records, budget options, high end options, all sorts.

have released a bunch of records over the years and was lucky enough to be in Curve Pusher for a couple of the cuts, been fascinated / daunted ever since.

soeffingodly

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Hey Folks, super vinyl enthusiast and record scratcher here from Boston.

Been looking to make my own records for a hot minute and have been lurking here for a bit. About to take the plunge into this cutting madness and will surely need some friends along the way.

In the name of the sound of science....

-S
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

pixelgroove

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:02 am

Hi folks,

I have an audio mastering studio in switzerland. I have build a lathe from an old Thorens, Caruso, Arduino this last tow years. I had the luck to meet Flo who advised me on this project. Now the lathe is functional and i am very happy to cut PVC for my customers :D

GreatWhite

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:35 pm

Hey guys n gals!! A Newbie here..
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what type of printer a person would need to print jackets?
Looking maybe to start cutting records if possible later on..

Thank you

Abstract

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:26 am

Hi everyone. New to this forum and cutting in general.

zebrostripe

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi!

I've been interested in record cutting for a while but have never quite gotten around to really diving in... until now. I found this forum while doing some research and been poking around here for a while trying to get familiar with the lingo, the equipment, and the overall expectation of what it will mean for me to really get into this.

I've always been fascinated with pioneering technology... be it sound reproduction, visual reproduction, computers, etc... Anything old, heavy, and does something cool; I'm into it. Especially if is mechanical or electrical (or both). I prefer vinyl to digital, vacuum tubes to transistors, although transistors DO have their place... and any car built after 1970 is crap. :D

Anyway, just wanted to say, "Hi," and I look forward to sharing your knowledge as I take on this new hobby of mine, and sharing mine if anyone wants it... :P

Cheers!

-Z

Benholister

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:23 pm

HI! I found out about Lathe Trolls from a youtube video. I really want to get my own lathe and start making some good dub plates.

Gutem

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:23 am

Hi,
My name is Guteemberg, but call me Gutem.

I've been interested in record cutting for a while and already had heard about TSSoLT some time ago but, only now, I took courage to signup and do a "deep dive" to learn more and, eventually, ask for some help.
I'm from São Paulo, Brazil and want to build a Lathe from scratch in my local hackerspace.

Jay Diggins

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Great to become a new member of this forum :-)

I'm a musician... I run a small analogue recording studio and I'm looking to buy a lathe.

Cheers

Jay Diggins

phinalcut

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Hello all!

I recently stumbled upon a Fairchild 539G lathe with a Cook F7 cutting head attached. Condition is pretty rough, but probably serviceable with a little work.

I'll have some questions to be sure...

I've got some experience messing with tube amps and things, but never tried cutting a record.

-Ryan

Jacu1

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Hello All! I am a musician and visual artist who cannot really embrace streaming music. I know CDs are history but I love to be able to hold a CD photo of Irish fiddler Padraig O'Keefe while listening to him playing The Woman of the House or reading the insert of tunings used by Dick Gaughan on one of his audio offerings - and, to me, the album design of Sgt. Peppers was art itself and the stage setting for the audio treasure inside. So I like my art and music together. I apologize for not being an engineer and also a lover of low-tech - but who knows - maybe the 'The Society' will infect me and take me to new places.
I appreciate being here and I hope I can learn and grow.

HardlyHumanFX

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 am

Hello Fellow Trolls,

My name is Jason. I'm 29 and I just purchased a Wilcox-Gay Recordio Model 6B10. I found the service manual, owner operator manual and schematics for this machine. I plan to fully restore its electrical components. I've never owned a record cutting machine so this should be a lot of fun! I love learning.

I have cut 78 records using my laser engraving machine but unfortunately the belt drive vibrates the laser head too much and causes distortions that make it less than fun to listen to on my 78 player! Hopefully once this machine is restored, I will be able to cut some playable music.

If anyone would like to see the kind of work I normally do, my instagram is http://www.instagram.com/hardlyhumanfx

Looking forward to sharing my experiences! And when I figure out how, I will upload the cool schematics and manuals I found under the appropriate thread!

Yours Troll-y

Jason Anderson
Orange, CA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

busdeez

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:06 am

Hi everybody this is Davide from Italy, been running a recording and mastering studio for nearly 20 years, always collected and spun vinyl and I purchased the VR t560 2 years ago. I've been experimenting and practicing and I'm trying to get seriously into the cutting business, I have A LOT to learn, I decided to register after reading your posts for a long time, time to step in:)thanks!!!
Davide

www.pressrewindstudios.com

merenderos97

Wed May 02, 2018 4:11 am

Hi all! Thanks for accepting me in this community!
I'm trying to make a record cutter by my self for cutting vinyl blank. I've opened a thread There: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7777

Perseus Traxx

Fri May 04, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi there - I've just joined after occasional lurking for a number of years.
I make a lot of music and other people master and cut it, but after some recent issues with poor lacquer cuts, I thought I'd start searching out other people who might be able to provide this service, and also gain some additional knowledge along the way.
The project I'm involved with at the moment does small runs of vinyl, but getting everything to run smoothly has been problematic as the manufacturing process is out of our hands, we just make the music then screen print the labels and sell the vinyl...again - wider knowledge is something I'm geen on gaining, as well as connections to people who can cut lacquers with double grooves and playing from the inside out.
Anyway - there's loads of reading to be had here - so I'm going to start - I'm really glad this resource is here.

djnemesis

Tue May 29, 2018 8:29 am

Hi Im Mark from sunderland UK , a baffled owner of a Vinyl Recorder T560 since 2013. Bought from Souri, never once had it working properly, went in to storage for a few year, got it back out this year now need help and Souri basically isnt fast enough to reply or willing to help for some unthinkable reason.
So im going to be pestering someone on here who knows the score to help haha. :D

Dabe

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi all,
I'm Davide, 20 years old and I'm from Italy.

After some time reading on the forum I've decided to sign up and introduce myself to the community.

I'm planning to build a complete lathe in which the cutterhead group is detachable from the turntable. But the more I read about the subject the more I realise that it will be difficult but I hope to do it and I'm sure that I'll learn a lot from you guys and so I hope to help you as well.

Thanks and greetings from Italy 8)

Davide

(a.k.a. Dabe)

harvey

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:49 am

Hi I'm Harvey 40 yo from Philippines. Im a newbie here and just starting to learn about cutting vinyl records. joined this forum hoping to get help in building first engraver both how to build it and where to buy the parts...I hope you guys will be patient with me...thanks