Welcome to the Secret Society of Lathe Trolls.

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:23 am

A lot of big names are releasing new albums on vinyl still. Best Buy has started selling vinyl. You can go to Target and buy a record player with USB so you can plug it right into a computer.

Vinyl is by no means dead! In fact, in the last several years, it has seen a serious upswing in sales. There are at least 6 record stores in the city of Chicago that I can think of off the top of my head.

As far as blanks go, Transco was absorbed by Apollo. To get blanks and styli go to http://www.apollomasters.com/

Keep those TT's turning!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

DanielB

Give Thanks

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks for the info I guess am getting old dont keep up tings like use to

shaneoftheroad

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Heya! My name is Shane and it's always been my dream to have my music collected onto 7" singles and 12" LP's. Of course with minimum order numbers this has been a sad impossibility for a very, very long time. A friend of mine from a Third Man Records collectors site turned me on to lathe record cutting. I've built my first head and am ready to dive headfirst into this world. Great to be here, can't wait to get to know you all!

Aussie0zborn

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Welcome Shane! Do you have any pics of your cutterhead?

thevinyllover

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:36 pm

thanks for having me as a member steve... i look forward to learning from some of the masters of mastering .... and sharing my out comes i cant believe my luck that there more people in the world like me who truly love vinyl music ....
THEVINYLLOVER

monty dan

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:54 am

as the sun rises and the elder trolls awaken. with blerry eyes they they clamber out from under the bridge o' lathes to be greeted by a baby troll. nervously the baby troll says "salutaions o mighty elder trolls, my name is monty and i have come to seek your great wisdom on all things that cut a groove"

lo all :P

bancho

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:30 pm

HAHAHAHAHA !!!!! Geat! :lol:

Most welcome!

chaosbc

Sun May 27, 2012 9:51 am

Hello, I am Ben from France.
As a record collector and musician (Metal band and also electronic stuff), I discovered this incredible message board and I definitively lost sleep when I understood it will be maybe possible to make my own records !
Thank you to this website to exist ! 1 000 000 times more usefull than facebook !

Pixie Z

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:10 am

Hi all, what a fantastic forum.

I'm, a student from Dunedin, New Zealand. A big vinyl record lover, & lover of all things musical.

Working part-time in a local record store & being involved in the local music scene around university, & the wider community, I'd love to see more local musicians able to put out their music on record.

Unfortunately there are no longer any companies in New Zealand that produce records, & local bands have to go overseas (mainly Australia or the US) to get their music put onto vinyl, at great cost & inconvenience. For most independent musicians, this just isn't an option due to cost. Especially in Dunedin, a city whose economy revolves around the university, as many musicians are poor students.

After speaking to a friend who runs a local independent record label about the financial difficulties involved with having to get records produced offshore, I decided to investigate the option of home made records, and lathe cutting.

Unfortunately, as a poor student myself, it seems even home lathes can be quite expensive, but I stumbled across some posts online (namely this page http://www.784533.co.uk/ds_disc_lathe.php , which subsequently drew me to this forum) about people cutting basic recordings into CD's and other plastics, & I am incredibly intrigued by the idea of building my own cutting head & doing some experimenting, starting with the basics of course.

I have my last exam for this half of the university year tomorrow & then a three week break, so my experimenting begins tomorrow afternoon, & I am excited at all the possibilities & I am sure I will learn much from you all here at Lathe Trolls.

Alex

Angus McCarthy

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:24 am

Welcome, Alex! I can tell you firsthand trying to build a functioning recording head from scratch is no easy feat. Keep us posted!

Pixie Z

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks Angus,

Yes I can imagine it will be, but I'm always up for a challenge. Of course I'll be starting at the bottom, learning the basics & working up from there, but I think it'll be a fun project.

& there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, so I will no doubt learn a lot from these very pages.

chaosbc

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi Alex,
I a newcomer myself but welcome !
I am here for the same reason than yours...actually like a bunch over here it seems.
Good luck !!!!
Ben

mosfet

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:01 pm

Hello Lathe Trolls,

I'm tobi and i'm studying electrical engineering (close to the goal). I'm collecting vinyl and some recording equipment. I have plans of buying a lathe. I'm an disc cutting newbie but i am doing my homework well :)

Cheers

brasilisgrooves

Hello people.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:10 am

My name is Bruno.
Also I am new to vinyl cutting.
recently bought a lathe with AM32B Neumann cutting head Grampiam mono.
I have not done any recording.
I'm from Brazil and here is very difficult to get information.
My goal is to reach the point of making masters with this machine and also dubplates material similar to vinyl on a small scale, still do not know if it will be possible with my machine.
I have a label that releases new Brazilian bands and also rare records here. www.brasilisgrooves.com
This is the first topic I read, I hope to learn a lot with you and pass on my experience in some way.
I do not write good English, because of that use a translator, so speak to me if something seems strange ... lol

Code: Select all

http://fshare.in/35733

MeatPlate

Re: Welcome to the Secret Society of Lathe Trolls.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi there,

Im new to this side of sound and am very interested in to start with learning all I can. Ill have a bunch of questions no doubt along the way that I dont even know about yet. Im looking to form a hobby that will hopefully progress into more of a fulltime job- even if it doesnt thats cool. Im going to be doing my homework.

A little about me, workwise I trained as stone mason and ran my own business a fair old while up until a few years back when I accidentally worked on my own hand- not a good idea id recommend. I currently repair and service machines within the plastic/rubber industry for a whole bunch of Industries/companies and have been doing so for the last 3 yrs on a national level. Plastics as a pose to stone is a whole new world and pretty much fun. Im a curious person by nature.

Why Record cutting? Well Ive been collecting vinyl, playing music and enjoying it since I can remember and been involved in different aspects of music sporadically over the years. I build engines and machines in my spare time and have restored stuff like tube amps etc owned countles vintage cars and as my lady says "piles of junk". I love researching, thinking, solving and restoring stuff , I guess- some would call it an obsession.

I have two cnc lathes as part of my toy box which may come in handy. Oh, unrelated but none the less important my lady is amazingly tolerant and really unselfish, what a support!

What I want to do? I want to combine what im doing with what I love, machines, music and >Vinyl< (If I could fit vintage cars in there nicely I would)

Thats pretty much it!

So here I start..

Kind regards

/Jamie or I guess.. "Meatplate" Its a sick name but I like it.

morrisjer

Wilcox-Gay Recordio...HELP!!!

Sun May 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Hey guys,

I recently aquired a Wilcox-Gay Recordio Model 1C10. It is in great condition but I need playing and cutting needles, perhaps some cutting discs, and the manual. Can anyone help me? It didn't come with the electric cord but I found one that fits, but would like to have the original also.

Thanks,

Jerry
(Morrisjer)

fenrir19

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Hallo everybody fond of lathe cutting machines !
This site is an informations goldmine !
Thanks
Dav

annablaze84

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Hello all! My name is Anne and I've always been facinated with vintage radios and such. I always wondered things like how did Alan Lomax record all those blues and folk musicians? This is a jackpot of knowlege. I found an old wilcox gay recordette that I'm bidd :D ing on. Wish me luck on that! :D

recordboy

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:47 pm

Hello All -I'm new here -and like Anna (hope you got it) own a Recordette and I also own a Edison voicewriter (disc style).

My fascination with disc cutting goes WAY back to my childhood -while watching "the Honeymooners" (tv show) and seeing a home recording made on a disc (I was about 7-8) and I looked high and low for one for years. I found either a Airline Cutter-or-Stewart-Warner which was in pieces and I never got it running -and then got lost in a move. VERY SAD :(

At age five I was making Musique concrète pieces with an old reel to reel -as I had watched my stepfather over the years (since 3) as we would -as a family make radio shows. So being able to transpose those recordings to a less fragile form (that could also be played without electricity) greatly interested me.

Well needless to say -time has gone by and here I am -looking to fulfill my dreams after all.

I am an exp. artist -and cutting/pressing/etching -all fascinate me greatly.

Thanx for having me aboard
& for making this forum -

Cheers!

HoneyJukes

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:58 am

Hello!

Another set of freshlegs here... My name is Martin and I am based in the UK. Having quite a few 1950's jukeboxes I got frustrated with looking for vinyl for these machines. We all know that any 1950's Wurlitzer or Seeburg is less than gentle on vintage vinyl so I decided to start to cut my own. So along with my hobbies of old vintage Philips valve radios and valve amp building / repairing I decided to jump into vinyl cutting.

I am about to buy a cutting lathe so I will be looking for some good information on realistically priced quality equipment.

Old cars are another hobby but size prevents me from restoring these in the sitting room. Wife complains too.... ;)

If I can progress this well enough and turn it into a full time occupation then all the better... And like Meatplate... My dear heart is also sympathetic to my hobbies.

Martin Rimmer