Welcome to the Secret Society of Lathe Trolls.

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

purebliss

Re: Welcome to the Secret Society of Lathe Trolls.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:17 pm

I am Nelson aka Purebliss aka DJ Buddy Nelson From Cape Town South Africa.

In 2003 I attempted to start a Record Cutting Business to meet the demand of our growing house music culture(my biggest mistake) and shorten the time it takes ship records from all around the world. At the time I managed to find a few people around the world (besides Africa) who were willing to sell their Equipment, however a few month down the line I decided to not start the business due to the realization that CD and digital were taking over, 1) because of price . I am in the process or restarting this concept as a hobby/ or ultimately a business.

I am a qualified sound engineer, but I have spent most of my career in finance and part time in DJing. I also assist in music productions.

This meant a lost contact with people who had the passion for that kind of business , and this explains my reason for joining your Group.​

alman

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:49 am

Hello All, , ,
I am a welder / millwright / sparky with extensive plastics / custom blending of polymers and molding experience. I just hired on to a shop in Calgary, that is the only record plant in Canada. Currently, we have 3 presses ( Alpha Toolex) 1207 / 1202, and 3 to be torn down and re built. On top of that, I have to re design our physical plant as its not able to keep up with our demand; steam, chilled water, air, etc. I will be posting the progress of the re builds and hopefully, if / when I get into jam, I might be able to get some info from members. Right now, I am rendering all our wiring diagrams and such into CAD format for service & training purposes. When done, these will be available for members. If you have diagrams in hand drawn form, if you like, scan and send to me and I will render them for you. I will also use to compare against what I have already, and hopefully, will be a 'win-win' situation for all.

Al Crosby
403 899 2237
crosby_a@hotmail.com

Symbian

Wed May 18, 2016 10:32 pm

Greetings Fellow Lathe Trolls !!! - Woo Hoo - What an Increadible Site - Dayum !!! - Like I have just walked into a Toy Store like when I was a Kid !!! - My Name is Symbian, I am a 58 Year old Newbie Troll - Looking forward to visiting many of the Forum Areas - Ever since I watched the Mini Doccumentarry on tv about the Unique Fictional Story of the Lazerous Bowl when I was a Young boy of 11 years of age - I have ALWAYS wanted to Make a Record Cutting Lathe for Plactic and Now maybe a oft type of Pre Warmed Teflon Coated Laquer Plate - Teflon "Pre-treated" to Accoustically keep the Vibration of the Grove cutting to Strictly the Heated Needle alone transfers to the Disk rather than "Overtone Harmonics" and "Extrainious Feedback Noise "Artifacts" and Vibration of the Disk back to the Cutting Head and back and Forth ! - Anyway - That is a WILD Speculative Idea I have always wanted to Assemble my goals toward ! - Get a Technical Blueprint of a Neuman "Clone" cutting Head - and THAT will be my Starting point - I dont know yet how many Materials have been tried when Constructing the Cutting Heads Chassi - But I wonder if a solid Block of Poly-Penco Teflon has ever been tried for Cutting Head Chassi ??

Hell - Right Now - I am a Newbie and Empty like a Sponge - I accept all Unconditional Non-Biased Positive or "Positive Constructive" Suggestions regarding the Magick of Cutting Heads in my "OWN" Head and Dreams !- Yup Guys - I actually DREAM about this Stuff - No Doubt like many of you ! - I feel like I just walked into the Entrance of My Home !

oddtoe

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi

I have a set of two test pressing plates that I'm
Researching to find out the band and album name

The only thing I have for reference is a #
Engraved on the plate and written on the envelope

It also says LEWIS MFG but I'm unable to
Find a company with that name

Can you help and direct me to some
Archival library that would be able to identify
The album by the limited information I have?

or direct me to the correct discussion forum?

Thanks

Snakeheadfishlab

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:09 am

Try the shazam app for your phone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JairoBecerra

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:00 am

Hi everybody,

I´m very happy to find this web site, I love Vinyl and worked in pressed long time ago, (22 years), after this, start to work in CD /DVD replication, now I want to learn and test cutting process still looking for lathes and equipment. Here in Colombia we do no have any pressed plant or cutting lather now and it´s very sad beause long time ago we got a lot of them.

Thanks for let me enjoy this site

Regards

Jairo

djeks00

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:48 pm

Hello everyone.

Since I can remember, heck my earliest memory is with a turntable and some records on my 3rd birthday. Lol. I have always been into records. I have seen all 3 speed and all the other media formats since.

I have done endless research into records and how they work from both sides. I have done this for every format I have ever touched for any form of tape to every form of grooves etched/cut/embosed/pressed into something to digital formats. I have a huge passion for audio and have always worked tword making a life of it.

Here I am now about to finally get in to record cutting after putting it off for a few years now. I think it's now time for me to jump in to the next step and do what I have always wanted to to. Make records and every form of music I can.

I will be honest I am really looking at the vinylrecorder right now as the cutter I was to get because I want to do stereo and I have records that have been cut on this machine and that is the level I want to strive for. I don't have 50 grand to get the big boy ones. Lol.

With all that said I how to learn a lot from everyone here and move forward with my passion and start doing what I have always wanted to do.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NickGrooves

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi everybody. First off, if you see my username elsewhere (Venmo, Marvel Puzzle Quest, Twitch, all the important places…) then there's a high probability that it's me. Say hello then!

Second, a quick introduction regarding vinyl stuff. My name is Nick and I own a brick & mortar music store in Atlanta. We turn 5 in August, in a 96-yo building. Specific interest in joining this forum is to learn about and eventually purchase a "suitcase lathe." We do passionately sell commercially released vinyl and have quite a few "limited edition" and vintage in stock. However this is merely a facet of our business and I probably know less than anyone else here, so please do not look to me for advice. I promise to do Google before I post here. SEGWAY! Here's how I came upon this board:

Instagram browsing
> Leesta Vall Brooklyn studio's ad for "live" direct to vinyl recordings
> Googled "rek-o-kut lathe"
> first result was an old Reverb listing from Brooklyn marked "local pickup only" which is probably the unit currently sitting at Leesta Vall; the second result was this forum

spinninr

Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Hello all on this site accessing it through the series of tubes. I enjoy making things, and music, I would love to make something that does both and the google machine lead me here. Thank you in advance for all of the knowledge.

onetruth

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi all. I'm Tom, from Durham, England. I know nothing at all about record cutting, but love the idea of making my own dubplates with diy equipment.
It can't be that hard.

mansfielddeathtrapre

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:54 pm

hello.
I am new. wow, cool to hear you (Steve) use the old 1940's lathe , that's the first type I was introduced to, & want. I also met & Twig Harper years ago, & played some shows at shows he played at, & I performed at the old Trianchila (sp?) Hill resort he & others once resided in, Baltimore.. I too had one of his cdr/records.
this is the first blog type site I've ever joined online. I have stuff I made mentioned on discogs, I appreciate people listing my old work on that site, I never figured out how to navigate or list anything on discogs. I want to start to put out 5 inch plastic records. I made some plastic 5 inch records in the past, using two old lathes one from the late 30's & one from the mid 40's, worked like a dream.