Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:57 am

Welcome to everybody this page!!

JJZL

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:25 am

Hello, JJ, from Spain, mostly a music and vinyl lover trying to study the format in depth and wondering whether some of my ideas could help advance the vinyl culture. I also ahave a blog, http://doctorvinilo.blogspot.com although it's been quite silent for a year.

fredbissnette

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:19 am

my name is fred bissnette im from quebec originally but i live in nova scotia with my wife

i was a dj for over 20 years starting with records in the 90s aqnd moving to digital in the very latter years

i worked in pro audio for a while as an engineer and went to recording arts school as well

i have always collected records and now i am very interested in cutting lo fi onto polycarbonate(cdrs and laserdiscs etc)

i have made a very crude lathe and wish to improve on it
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

roller8

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:00 am

Hi everyone! I'm glad to have found a place like this!

I've been having records pressed since the early 90s and I'm concerned with this diminishing art and hope to learn how to one day cut my own masters for reproduction.

Thanks!
Raul

thetoneloft

Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:20 am

Hey everyone. Just invested in some equipment, I'm looking forward to digging in and chasing those good cuts.

jbergsbaken

Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:14 pm

Hello,

I haven't perused many threads yet since finding the board recently but am looking forward to it. I am a hobbyist and musician. Have gotten into this topic since pressing a 78 of my music back in 2000 and having a great time working with the mastering engineer on the project. I was living in Alaska at the time and in trying to track down engineer to master it I got a lot of patronizing responses from different engineers who would explain that "78 is the speed the record spins at" thinking I didn't know what I was asking for. One person said "I think the cold in Alaska has damaged your brain" because I wanted my record on an 'antiquated medium'. I finally found the right guy who was immediately excited to work on the project. I am pleased to say I sold out of the limited pressing of that record. I have been fascinated by the cutting process ever since. I have built a rudimentary DIY lathe for an art project which was successful and am now wanting to increase the fidelity and cut direct to metal. So I'm looking to pick a few brains and perhaps find some parts in the classifieds.

Thanks so much!!

Joel

Soulbear

Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi Joel,
And welcome to the Forum. We Trolls are an inquisitive bunch (Some might say Nosey, Well this one is anyway Te He!) and love to see other Trolls "Lathe & Cutterhead" Related Creations, so we'll look forward to seeng your own efforts in this regard. Fire away and post some photo's. I think cutting Polycarbonate or Lacquer Discs is a Big Enough Challenge, I'm intrigued by your "Cut Direct to Metal" comment. Are you talking about Direct Metal Mastering?? Surely Not?? :wink: :P :D Regards Soulbear

jbergsbaken

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:08 pm

Thanks soulbear,

Well Not DMM per se. Just looking for a cutting head that could cut a halfway decent track for metal one-offs (Like the old aluminum blanks)

I'll explore different forums to see where to inquire.
-J

ennayess

Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Hi All,

Thought id better introduce myself here

I've just purchased a T560 from Souri, i'm based in Glasgow, Scotland.

Looking forward to cutting and gaining more knowledge.

Best

Iain

CountMoogle

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:08 pm

G'day lads!
I've 'studied' turntables and vinyl lathes on and off for years but never had a chance to try anything.
It wasn't until I found a record player on the side of the road two months ago that I finally now have a chance to toy around!

I have two turntable projects lined up and i can't wait to share em.

pvsmuseum

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:04 pm

Hello Everyone,
Would like to introduce myself here. I'm Steve. My wife and I run a vintage hi-fi shop in Wisconsin. Have been at it for nearly 45 years. I've always been involved with turntables and recording/cutting equipment and I love to collect stuff. I'm at the point now where I'm starting to go through all this "stuff." Right now I'm starting to look through some of the older lathes and cutting heads--especially the odd-ball ones. These parts are from the mid-1930's through the mid-1950's. My goal is to try and identify some of them. I hope to connect with other members who may have knowledge about some of the older manufacturers. Thanks.

recordblanks

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:18 pm

Hello! Just want to introduce myself real quick. My name is Ryan I have been a musician and crazed music lover for most of my life. I love to play music and listen to records. My friend and I make lathe cut records and provide quality blanks to other lathe cutters. I have become obsessed with the art and love this community. Look forward to connecting with other people and learning more. Happy Holidays!!

SpyrosMV

Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Hello cutting engineers and enthusiasts out there. I ve been reading lathe trolls for a while now, and the time has come for me to log in and introduce myself.

My interest on disk cutting arises naturally, since i ve been active restoring/building/developing some quite nice disk cutting lathes, for quite a while now, working with and learning from my coworker Jesus (jesusfwrl). It feels like a rather unusual introduction to the art of disk mastering specifically, and the world of audio and music technology generally. But all of these mechanical and electronic engineering mysteries alongside and aiming for the finest of audio results, have really made me an enthusiast of the field, spending quite some time reading and studying about audio paths, amplification technologies and of course disk cutting/mastering and it's history. Well, i started with designing the aesthetics of the products we make, but because of my love for music and of course considering the changes that are given, i am really happy going into this groovy path!

I ve been learning quite some by reading lathe trolls and i am willing to pass my own experiences to the forum.

Happy cutting,

Spiros

PM: Our Neumann based lathe (http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6725) is ready to perform in outstanding standards! Just a few more additions and we 're ready to sound blast the world! :) joyful times
http://www.magnetovolt.com
Exceptional Quality Custom Audio Equipment

Soulbear

Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi Spyros. or should it be Spiros?? Doesn't take a lot to confuse this old Bear Te He!
And welcome to the Forum, Jesus mentioned recently that you'd be dropping in sometime soon, so it's good to meet you at last. Excellent looking work on the R.O.K. and it wouldn't in the least surprise me, if you've been involved with the Fairchild at some point also. Looking forward to your contributions here too.
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

SpyrosMV

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Thanks for your kind words Soulbear! I was involved with the latest Fairchild development indeed.
I ve been reading about your Lazarus project. I like and admire your persistence on it. Keep on!
(Both "i" and "y" can fit in the name. It was confusing to present them at the same time, it's true..)
http://www.magnetovolt.com
Exceptional Quality Custom Audio Equipment

skookum

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi! I've been lurking here for awhile and this is my first post! I am currently in my first year of Electronics Technician classes at my local tech school and am an avid 78 collector. A couple weeks ago I purchased a defunct Montgomery Wards Airline record player and cutter combo and am looking forward to cutting some 78's with it. Don't worry I'll have plenty of questions and pictures to follow!

FredH

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:50 am

Hello everybody ! it's a big pleasure to be here and read the most fabulous story about cutting ;-)

olleramm

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi all, my name is Olle, and I´m from sweden.... started work in -66, on a plating/pressing company, checking/fixing off-centered mothers for a year....terrible time for a music ear... went lanto studio as a recording engineer.... later around -80 I went back mastering and cutting... all VMS 70 and 80.... and so why am I here now.
Well a few young colleagues are planning to set up a VMS room in sweden.... and as I might be the only crazy freak to get into details on how does these hidden steps between master and vinyl works.... I´m retired now, but they asked for my help, and I have to refresh my basics on some issues..... so that´s why I ended up a Lathe Trolls..... after checking for some time...this might be the place for me...

I´v seen a lot of knowledge, experience and new ideas.....

Regard to all

fredbissnette

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:18 pm

welcome!
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

bololipsum

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:12 am

Hi everyone, glad to be here !
I start working on a prototype, but there is still a lot of work to do, and questions to ask.
So here I am !

EDIT :
I forgot to say that's I am very serious about vinyl cutting, I founded a record label witch had a great interest about making and DIY in music.
First, I want to build a lathe that's could use scrap material, an see where it can goes...