Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

underslung

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:53 am

Hello everyone,

I run a record label, have a hand built sound system and have been djing acetate for a while. Looking forward to researching lathes and hopefully cutting my own dubplates in the near future.

Thanks,

JC

grimeyrob

Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi, newbie, never cut a disc myself but have had some made and been present while cutting records at Curved pressings in London, here to learn as much as I can and eventually get my own gear and seek advice.

For now I am going to be doing a lot of reading and research and probably ask a few questions here and there. Will probably eventually get in to it in real world using affordable gear like from vinylrecorder.com in Germany. As a retro reissues label manager, occasional producer and aspiring Mastering Engineer the art of cutting records is a skill I would like to develop or at least understand better.

Robin aka Grimey Rob

Snug Music

Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi,..
We had tried it at vinylrecorder.com that get basic version of the cutters, but somehow very strange what makes everything souri there. (You have to enter view there, waiting ect.) Curious..,
So...we decided to build myself a cutter, although is complicated and needs a lot of knowledge to acquire, but doable plus cheaper than at souri ... :)
Why spend money and make them dependent, if you save and when to build yet can learn ... without one makes oneself dependent on someone due curiously business practices? ;)
This forum is the best I've seen so far! Here you can learn infinitely ... professionals ideas with lots and lots of experience. Thanks guys, that you have done to this forum! ;)
Greetings...
Scotty ;)
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

ziya

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:20 am

Hello .. ziya from france.
came here to learn more about making my own record cutting lathe.
hope it will work !

Smokey

Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Hello!
I'm Smokey. I'm an electronic musician who has always been facinated by artists who would cut their own vinyl with their own music.

My fantasy is to be able to cut my own vinyl made with my own beats, loops, textures, ect... and then with a DJ style set-up learn some turntablism and remix my own content in realtime. Is this doable? I think so! But it may be years before I get there. I may wait until the DRC starts to become available as all the refurbished options are making my head hurt!

Hellfire Records

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Darren , i am 40 years old.. i have a T560 cutting machine (cuts everlasting dubs plates etc) i did a quick 3 day course when i bought the machine (as required)
and thats about all the tuition on cutting I've had .I've had the machine a couple of years now I've done some pretty good cuts but also some bad ones ...
(as expected when you first start out)

so I'm glad to be part of this group and hopefully share and learn some valued info

I've been running my own small underground vinyl label for a few years now and now on my second label ..i have also been producing my own dance music
since the late 90's ..and throughout this time i have also been into dj'ing...which has lead to me being a vinyl junky and was part of the reason why i wanted to cut my own dubs.
and finally offer the service to others.

thanks ,

keep on cutting

thades

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:38 pm

Hello!

This is my first post in the group. I've got a Presto 6-n, with a Presto 1-D cutter head (that was rewound to operate at 8 ohm). I recently purchased an iRIAA preamp filter from Max Gorbman at MXTRNX Custom Audio Devices. So I'm getting VERY close to finally having a working system! My questions are these: If I'm powering my cutterhead with a modern solid state 8 ohm amp, what type of wattage should I be looking at. Also, I've lead that an inline fuse should be placed between the cutter amp and the cutter head. What should that fuse be rated?

Best,

Ted

rubenr

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:44 pm

Seas! Hi ! hola!

One more in this big word of vinyl... In few weeks i try to make first project ;)
The plan is Autocad, and the pieces in soon..

I try to make own Lathe controlled whit Arduino, and 2 transducer ( Ebay ) first.. similar to ZEZ, and 45/45 project from Ciuens and Bryan. I haven't one 3d printer but will doit in aluminium.
I m really exited in this moment to make this. ( I m not engennier or electronic ) "Me" musician and dj/producer whit more of 20 year experience whit vinyl. Now is the moment to make.

Thx all user for your dedication altruist in this forum, i have learned a lot and very fast!

THX SO MUCH GUYS!

KitCaboodle

Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi there! I just joined the other day because I have recently been very curious about setting up my own record cutting lathe. Don't really have the money to actually do anything about it now but some day!

Simpleton

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:58 pm

Howdy, Trolls!

I'm a 25-year old studying Stationary Engineering in Buffalo, NY. I've enjoyed fixing/tinkering with vintage electronics and appliances in the past, and so I recently purchased a W.G. Recordette Sr off of Ebay that I plan on first making functional, followed by yet-to-be-determined modifications (depending on what I can realistically hope to accomplish with such a limited machine).

I found the forum about a week ago, and have been reading voraciously since. The repository of great info on this site has got me both neglecting my studies and making irresponsible purchases, with no complaints on my end. Before I go any further posting here I feel I ought to thank the lot of you for all of the work you've done contributing here, as I wouldn't have had the faintest idea where to start without the resources you elder trolls have compiled.

In any case, you'll likely be hearing from me soon. I've got to put down Oliver Read and pick up my ATP textbook for now. Hopefully I'll have articulated a more serious line of inquiry by later this evening

Cheers!
Cheers!

stodge45

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi! I am a toolmaker in Uk and also a musician. I stumbled across this forum after seeing a youtube video of a record cutting lathe.

I have become totally fascinated by the prospect of making a lathe to cut recordings with. My journey began when a friend asked me to record him onto a cd so that his grandchildren and great grandchildren would be able to hear his voice. I suggested to him that digital media is probably not the safest way to do do this and if he really wanted something that would last a long long time and be able to be heard with technology that will always be available, ie, a needle and a matchbox, he should cut a record. He said "Thats a great idea, how can I do that?" Well you can guess the rest..........................

djdiggla

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:32 pm

Hola! I'm a amateur scratch DJ from Texas. Interested in the Master Lacquer process as a hobbyist. Also interested in learning more about mastering and cutting but making blank acetate discs is what I find most interesting.

Heathers

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:17 am

Hi I'm Heather, I'm just interested in reading more about the process of pressing records and compression molding. I was wondering if anyone had any good reading recommendations?! Thanks.

ppint.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:01 pm

- "hi in this thread". . .°

(° - yr hmbl srppint.'ll need to read quite a bit, before formulating any idea of what might be worth your time.)

- love, ppint.

carlos820

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Hello Everyone :)

I'm new here, very glad I found this group. My background is I'm a broadcast engineer in the LA area, mostly dealing with dreaded file based video workflows now, but cut my teeth when Tape was king. Anyway, I don't own a proper lathe cutting machine..but I am inspired by a youtube video by David Nelson. I have been collecting parts to build my own machine. Some questions I have now are; What type of quality can be achieved from a DIY machine such as David Nelsons? anywhere near a real lathe? also I'm confused with the terms cutting vs embossing. I'm planning to start with a steel cutting blade I bought from Ebay. Anyway thanks for allowing me join the group! I will post an initial parts list when complete, and a build progess as I go...I am sure I will have many questions, so thanks again for all the tips!

tim_sp

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:18 am

Hi there! Am a studio owner, engineer and musician and taking my first steps in learning about the art of cutting, so just getting my reading glasses out and off I go. Hope to be talking to some of you soon. Best Wishes.

James E

Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:09 pm

Greetings and or salutations. I've long been involved with writing, producing, and releasing music on vinyl and dub plates. I've wanted to get into cutting as long as I can remember. I wish I'd bought the Presto home cutters offered to me 20 years ago for $200-300!

Ultimately I'd like to buy Souri's Vinylrecorder, but before I invest serious scratch I'd like to start out at a basic level. To that end I'd like to know which of the many Presto cutters would offer broadest options of speeds, groove pitch, and higest fidelity. AFIK the better mono cutterheads has 50-8000hz range. I'm guessing a K-10 might be a good starter lathe.

I welcome any suggestions. Also if you have a good starter cutter for sale, let me know.

Hawkeye

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:45 pm

Meissner cutting arm.jpg
meissner playback arm.jpg
Hi All:
I'm a newbie and have a question. I have a Meissner 9-1065. The amp, radio and t/t all work, but there are some pieces missing from the cutting and the playback arms. I've been told that the crystal is likely dead, as well. I'll attach a couple of photos. I only paid $35 for it, so if it costs a little more to get up and running, it would fun to play with.
Thanks for any help that you can throw my way.
Hawkeye
ps: For anyone interested in old phonographs, Edison cylinders and discs, I've started posting some videos on YouTube under the title Phonographs and Memories.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skylight67

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Hawkeye,

I also recently acquired a Meissner 9-1065. I paid $65 for it and the radio worked (very scratchy), the turntable worked fine, and both the cutter head and the reproducer were dead. I sent the cutter and the reproducer out to Gib at West-Tech to be repaired, and in the meanwhile I purchased all of paper/wax and electrolytic caps for the electronics. I cleaned the pots and did all the capacitor change outs and all went well. When I fired it back up, my volume on the radio was cut to about a quarter. So started the troubleshooting. I did find a loose wire leading to the speakers which I soldered back on, but that did not fix the problem. I did a voltage check across all of the tube pinouts following the listed voltage readings on the Meissner instruction manual and found that the voltages were off on the 6SC7 tube which appears to be the main amplifier tube. I purchased a new one on e-bay, but while I was waiting I wanted to do some other testing and put the tube back in and fired it up. Voila! I had full volume back! I am still not sure exactly what was going on. I had taken all the tubes out to inspect them when I purchased the unit, but either one of the pin holes in the socket is loose, or there was some oxidation that got cleaned off while I was taking the tube in and out. But I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth! The only stupid thing that happened after that is the string that moves the radio dial came loose and subsequently broke while I was trying to fix it. It took me a couple of hours one afternoon to get that threaded back in at the right tension, but finally I was successful. By that time I had gotten the cutting head and reproducer back from Gib, so I soldered those back in and they both worked like a champ!

Since that time I have been cutting plastic Solo plates with MP3 files from my computer. Here I am just learning, I have done the adjustment on the cutter height and spring tension to get the appropriate groove depth. If you have any questions let me know, or if you pick up any tips, please let me know. This board has been an excellent source of information, there are a lot of people here with a lot of experience. My 6 year old daughter loves working with me cutting the plastic plates, she has a little box where she keeps her collection of cutting "swarf".

Good luck!

asp

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:40 am

Fantastic forum, hope to find new freinds and have a go to build a lathe, seems like the right place to be.. :D

Cheers..!