Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

AWARE-za

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Mon May 11, 2015 3:01 am

Hi, I'm Adrian

I run a record store in Johannesburg (South Africa). Looking to learn, watch, and hopefully soon cut and press.

Thank you Steve for this forum and collected group.

Cheers,
A

opcode66

Mon May 11, 2015 1:38 pm

Welcome! Thank you for operating a record store. Thank you. Read. Ask questions. Post. We'll help out as we can.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

pianimator

Mon May 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi - I'm new to these forums and to the world of custom record cutting. Just purchase a Presto Model K7 and am looking forward to learning within this community!

digitalindian

Mon May 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm new over here. I've come across this great place while looking for some information over a specific project.
I've been collecting record for a while and also did produce, with some friends, several record production over the past 10 or so years.
Beside my record addiction I'm working in the audio equipment manufacturing industry for the past 12 years.
thanks everyone for keeping record alive

tricks

Thu May 28, 2015 9:28 am

I'd like to say "Hi" in this thread.
Thanks Steve for giving me access to the secret society.
I got my MasterPro 3 years ago and made my way into the techniques, but still in the learning process...
...so glad to be here! :D

ApolloNero11

Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Hello all. I'm an artist interested i cutting my own vinyl records. Very happy to be apart of the group!

jtm133

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:59 pm

howdy- jason here...I have a Presto k-7 and a k-8...I am just getting to trying to get them to work to do some cutting...

portofprov

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:47 pm

Howdy.

David here from Providence, RI. I run a DIY micro-label called Port of Providence (POP) Records, and we're starting to work on some lathe projects. I'm hoping to one day (SOON) be able to do these myself, which is why I'm here. I'm also fascinated by the process.

Been a lurker for some time now, but excited to be a part of this group! I'm currently in the process of restoring a Wilcox Recordette Sr. that I was able to get on the cheap. Hoping to get this thing running and learn some tricks on this while I look for a more heavy duty unit.

Cheers!
David

Igor

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:51 am

Hello everybody!! My name is Igor Figueroa, from Mexico City. I am part of an independent record store and label. We are currently cutting our first LP and we are very excited about it. We are also trying to get our hands on a record cutting machine since we want to be able to produce down here without much struggle. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Speedbump71

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:04 am

Good Morning!

I am a lover of old audio gear, and fixer upper of things dusty and tubey (if that is a word).

I stumbled across a Presto K-8 in my auction travels, and knew right away I had to have it. I am in the process of getting it up to snuff now, and in the meantime I am learning all I can about how it works, and what it needs. Thanks for providing this great resource!

Erik

seaside-mastering

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:05 am

Hi there, I run a CD pre-mastering studio here in Taiwan for 12 yrs. Never had a chance to get into the record-cutting studio for they were all gone some 20 yrs ago in here. But the record business seems to come back recently, I am asked to bring the legendary disk-cutting mastering back just for the record by some clients. So here I am. I am also looking for a Naumann VMS-80(2) with DMM cutter. Any suggestion or recommendation is welcome. Thanks very much.

Ben Wang
SeaSide Mastering
studio de la mer

Aussie0zborn

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:45 am

Hi Ben and welcome. I know someone who sold a Neumann VMS70 lathe to Taiwan as (I have the console that was originally paired with it) and a VMS80 that was there was sold to somebody locally when the record factory closed. So... somewhere in Taiwan you will find these two lathes, if not more.

Unfortunately, audiophiles in Asia like to use Neumann lathes as turntables so your chances of finding one for sale are very slim. Good luck in your search.

lencorob

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:07 am

Hi there I am Rob,

Live in the Netherlands and my username should give a hint of things I like. Currently I am building a heavy plinth (about 75+ lbs) Lenco turntable to listen to vinyl, the Lenco will replace my Micro Seiki BL21. Lenco's have PRAT :shock:
The Lenco will receive all kinds of nice goodies like Origin Live Zephyr tonearm, Pete Riggle VTAF unit, Ortofon 2M black cart and a controller to set the speed exactly at 33.3/45 RPM.
Listen to as much vinyl as I can, since in my opinion vinyl is the only carrier that will enable you to enjoy music. Listen to old and cleaned vinyl as well as brand new issues.

Hope to learn a lot here and ultimately cut my own records.

Snug Music

Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi there,..
I'm new in this forum and want to say hello to all..:)
My Name is Scotty and i will learn more about lathes and cutting.
(Not about transporters! (Beam up!!!)) Smile... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Greetins from w-germany....

Scotty :wink:
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

Vinylaudio

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:55 pm

Hello all,

Please excuse my bad english...

I'm Simon, 34 years joung from Solothurn, Switzerland.

I'm on the way to build a small complete analog recording and mastering studio. Except from a lot of vintage audio equipment, I own a Neumann VMS70 with SAL74b and SX74 (No 918) since 4 years, but i had sadly no time to cut records with it. Expected in the early 2016 it will be time to finally cut my first records...

Best regards

Simon

mc172

Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:36 am

Hi people, I'm Brynn, 26 from the UK.

I fancy cutting my own vinyl as it seems like a good laugh. I've got a few friends that produce dance music and like myself DJ on proper vinyl on the radio. It's be nice to give them some of their latest productions cut onto vinyl, so I thought I'd get my finger out and start building something.

I'm a design engineer by day so don't see any of it being too difficult. Part of the appeal is the challenge rather than the end result, as I'm strange like that.

SaintandWino

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:21 am

Hello

New to the site today. I live in upstate new york and am in my early 40s, I play in a band and have been a life long vinyl enthusiast. Im interested in learning the processes for making records. I will be exploring the site and doing lots of reading. I like to ask questions and learn new things.. If anyone would like to chat holler.

Thanks
S&W

equalvision

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi, Im a newbie here. My label is looking to invest in a hand cutting lathe system. We are looking at the Starter Set T560 from Souri. Is this a good place to start? Any info on other lathes that work like this or classes you can take to be an operator would be much appreciated. Any where we can visit to watch the process? Like I said we are newbies to this but would love to get involved.

Thanks
Alex

untitledthe

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:23 am

Hello all,

Made allready a couple of posts here and there and its about time i introduce myself here i guess.
My name is Jacob, 27 years old and from the netherlands. After a coulple of years of working im now following a proces operator education vapro b.
I bring a couple of records out a year, but no big quantities and distribute them myself over Europe.

Best regards,