Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

crowesBR

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi all.
I'm new here.
I'm a record collector and hope get a lot ( a mean a LOT) of help here.
Starting to learn the process.

symatic

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:42 am

djdiggla wrote:Hola! I'm a amateur scratch DJ from Texas. Interested in the Master Lacquer process as a hobbyist. Also interested in learning more about mastering and cutting but making blank acetate discs is what I find most interesting.

ohai dirk!

noiseloops

Wed May 18, 2016 10:56 pm

hi trolls.
greetings to all from singapore. zero knowledge on cutting except i used to get records done for a small indie label that i was part of.
was thinking of getting a vinylrecorder from souri, and that was how i chanced on this site. they term it mid life crisis i guess. :) a lot to digest no doubt.
but in all seriousness, really interested in getting a setup done. cheers to all the help.
-norm
growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

handmadevinylrecords

Fri May 20, 2016 4:23 am

Hi - not exactly new as I have been lurking on this site during the past year or so and have gleaned a lot from others. Handmade Vinyl Records (somewhere in webland) is now up and running. ....lots of experimentation! I have a vanrock/atom lathe which I've had to do several operational and a couple of inventive mods to - like most people. I make 50s/60s inspired 7 inch singles. I've also done lot of studio recording over the years as a musician and occasional sound engineer so this has helped a lot in controlling the sound for vinyl - super important and again, lots of optimisation - but this has been great fun to fully play with sound. - best tip I can offer ? - operational stuff aside as there's loads of advice here, sound-wise - try working with 70s Elvis - dynamic range of voice and cymbal crashes - if you can tame this you can tame anything ! Also having parents that gave me a record player at the age of 6 - have been dabbling ever since. First record - Showaddywaddy - under the moon of love - don't laugh - what was yours ?!

I've managed to get decent results after a lot of perseverance and a couple of full notebooks...and bins of vinyl! - controlled treble, tight mid range and very well defined and solid bass.

Based in Brittany, France. To all of you guys and girls - lathetrolls and artists, vinyl is still a great and characterful recording medium. Thanks to Steven at MyShank for excellent shanks and vinyl blanks.

Good to be part of the action - Rich Dennett, Handmade Vinyl Records

jinman

Thu May 26, 2016 3:53 am

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking the forums for a couple of months, decided to make an account to follow the classifieds section more closely as well as ask any novice questions I may think up along the way... thanks to you all I'm completely enthralled by vinyl cutting and in the market for my first lathe.

I can't wait to start learning to press! Couldn't be happier to be here.

Best regards,
Jesse

headspace

Tue May 31, 2016 10:40 pm

Hello all,

My name is Jon. I've been an obsessive music nerd and record collector for most of my life, but I'm a complete and total newb to the world of cutting. I've been poking around the archives for a month or so now and it's been really eye-opening. I'll have the opportunity to start learning how to make dubplates over the next year or so, so I'm looking forward to getting to know this community, hopefully pick up some knowledge, and maybe have something to give back in the future.

Thanks!

Seemunkee

Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:58 pm

Greetings
My son and I have had discussions off and on over the years about doing some record cutting ever since he showed me the Vestax lathe back when he was in high school. Glad we didn't take the plunge on it then. He's on another continent trying to make it as a musician/sound artist, so I have finally decided to take the plunge and give it a go on my own. He did say he would build me an amp when he comes visit this summer. I bought a Presto lathe and working on rebuilding it. It seems to be an early 6D and I have some questions that I'll post in another thread.

KNOP

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:40 am

Hello everybody!

My name is Wim and i'm from Belgium.

I recently acquired a rek-o-kut overhead with An M41 Head, and i am Learning the ropes of the cutting art on it.

I'm Using It with a sl1200 turntable with torque mod, and am currently finishing a control box for variable vacuum and needle heating, plus a timer for needle usage.

My Current issue is that I have A lot of noise in the recordings, I think probably an incorrect needle angle or maybe the needle is broken, however I do not see any defects under 100x magnification.

Best regards, Wim
IMG-20160601-WA0001.jpg
WP_20160429_17_03_44_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BradCooper

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:13 pm

Hey everyone,
Glad to be apart of this. Unfortunately I can't bring any advice to the table yet as I'm only just starting out in my quest to obtain a cutting machine and would midday probably be absorbing all the knowledge in this forum.

Cheers,
Brad

buckyhold

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Hey everyone. new guy here. i look forward to talking shop with everyone. i work at a recording studio that was closed for 30 years and reopened last august. we have a few lathes and its my job to try to get them cutting. we have a we have a disassembled PRESTO 28n and a frankensteined 6N/8N lathe. this was a fully operating studio at one point so everything needed is here to get it going properly again. i've read the manuals over and over and trying to build my knowledge before writing in here in need of help of understanding this stuff. being a newbie ill be reading much more of this forum and trying not to ask to many newbie questions. ill start posting pictures too. the place hasn't changed since the 70's!!

nice to to say hi

thank you

hissandgroove

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:44 am

Hello,
I'm a silent reader of the forum for some time.
I stumbled upon great stuff here. Thank you all.
I am working on a 1937-vintage Presto record lathe, model 12E.

Friendly,
HissAndGroove

DeanLach

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:08 am

Saying Hey from Metro Detroit. I currently design Roku and Fire TV channels, and I've decided to support indie bands on my channels. Cutting records is a part of the process that (I think) all indie bands should embrace. So...If I help bands produce records, then I'll support their efforts on my Set Top TV channels.

HobokenHiFi

Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Hello,

My name is Jim. I recently signed up. I have been lurking on this thread for about two years when my quest for learning about lathes and cutting began. I am a working engineer, I own a studio and record reggae exclusively.

My goal in this realm is to learn as much as possible from all of you. I have dedicated my life to engineering and the history of it. I would love to apprentice with someone. I would like to eventually get a Presto and just do my own work. Maybe one day I can do stuff for my reggae engineer peers but for now I like to start small, from the beginning, in the learn as much as possible stage.

Can't wait to meet you! - Jim

s13t0ttz

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Well hello all! My name is Thor. It's good to be here. I'm hoping to be able to use your combined knowledge and experience to get my equipment working right!

hnrcrew

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi
Just learned the basics of lathe cutting recently and am eager to start!
Lots of amazing people and information here, thank you in advance.
- Brandy (Los Angeles)

Sillitoe

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:54 pm

Welcome Brandy!
I know you from your Instagram account. Awesome stuff you've got going on there, that limited run of Gonjasufi! Nice!!!

Cheers
James

Spiderxdeath

Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi everyone- thanks for having me.
My name is spider- and after years of playing in bands and paying companies to press our records, I am going to have a crack at my own lathe cuts.
Inspired by this whole network so much:
Thank you

MEGAMIKE

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:03 am

Hi Spider
great to have you ..enjoy :D

maximoscortes

Hello from underworld !

Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:12 pm

jelow !!!

I'am a new bit here ...

music, sound and producer from southamerica, i very interesting in engraving or impress sound into a veralite (a kind of policarbonate, more flex), i am very very new in this, but always lern some new, every day, that is the best, !!!

and well, my english suck but wathever, ....

thanx for accept me in the forum,. .. the unique and more important forum to me in this time !!!

salu2 !

corneliuswrecks

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:36 pm

Hey gang,

Long time listener...first time caller :wink: .

I'm Neil from western NY, and I'm working on a Meissner 9-1065 for starters. Recently acquired an M41 through here, and my project has officially begun! I want to say thanks to all for being so forthcoming with knowledge! It's been an incredible resource all the way around.