Dusty Old Stand Mounted Presto

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Loquinho

Dusty Old Stand Mounted Presto

Mon May 12, 2014 11:41 pm

I'm a man of many hobbies in Richmond, VA. The furthest I've gone into record equipment is an old portable hand crank Victrola I restored a few years back. The spring inside isn't robust enough anymore to keep the record spinning under the weight of the head. But that's beside the point, and something I'll ask about in a different thread.

Anyway, there's one hobby I thought about getting into, but never had the opportunity to pursue it. My grandfather was a big radio man, and apparently worked for a while at a radio station. I inherited his old record cutter, which I put in my shop thinking I'd get to it later. Well, years have past, and I haven't gotten to it, but it's still in my shop, and now I want to know more about it. So my question is, where in this forum should I start a post asking about it to get information? Do most of the regular members peruse the newbie board, or should I post it elsewhere?

tragwag

Re: Dusty Old Stand Mounted Presto

Tue May 13, 2014 3:34 pm

I'm a big fan of the "search" function, it helps sort out what's been answered before, and what to ask publicly.
What model is this presto of yours?
Does it have an amplifier with it?
I'm sure some other folks on here own the same one and can help you out with any issues.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Stevie342000

Tue May 13, 2014 6:03 pm

It should not be that hard to identify which Presto Lathe it is most of us can tell if it's a 6N with one shut and the other one blindfolded at 50 paces.

Try a google search on Preservation audio, they have a 1940 something Presto Catalogue and a plain old google search on Presto will reveal Alan Graves Presto site, he's a great help as well.

There is the search facility on here as well as pointed out in the previous post.

Loquinho

Tue May 13, 2014 10:26 pm

I respect the search function. I looked at the referenced websites, but I really don't know what I'm looking at. All I know is that this thing must be a modified version of one of Presto's machines, because it doesn't look exactly like any of the units. It's also in pieces, so that's why I'm turning to you guys.

Here is the unit itself. It's on wheels, has a couple switches, and has a door for record storage in the base. It also has two lights on the front.

Here's a closeup.

The Presto nameplate

The serial number

This is what is immediately under the deck.

Various items in the lower base cabinet

Aaaand all the extras that all came in the cabinet. I don't know what all these things are.

So that's what I have. Care to shed some light on to what I'm looking at?

Stevie342000

Wed May 14, 2014 6:07 am

From Perusing my 1947 Presto Catalogue it looks to me like a Presto 75-A or 75-B - it came with a 1-D cutting head. It is mentioned in the 1940 catalogue as well.

From the pictures you can see one model is portable and the other is in a console which makes yours a 75-B.

It did not come with any amplification to cut discs you had to buy that separately.

You can find the details here in the 1940 Catalogue http://www.preservationsound.com/?p=3162 and Alan Graves site can be found here http://www.prestohistory.com. In 1940 the 75-A cost $425 which was a fair amount of money.

Alan is the go to guy for parts and information, hope that helps.

rsimms3

Wed May 14, 2014 9:52 am

As mentioned, definitely a Presto 75 machine. They sold these as part of a portable set called the Y-2 model which came with a 75-A in a suitcase and a 87-A amplifier/speaker. Looks like your 75-A was remounted or custom mounted in that cabinet. Great looking set up! This table cuts inside out and outside in using a single LPI (can't recall which, it's standard groove). One positive on this table is the transmission system, you can cut a full locked groove on the outside and inside by putting it in neutral.

What I'm familiar with in this picture - two tone arms, neither looks like the arm that was originally on the table. Not sure if there were options at the factory for different arms. I've seen the Gray Research arm on several RCA 16" transcription turn tables. The curved T piece is the time gauge. You attach this to the cutter arm and it will tell you how many minutes of record time you have for a specific size disc. It mounts at the back of the cutting arm where you see that hole with what should be the top of a bolt. The time indicator does not move but the arm under it does, the pointer is the item just behind the adjustment of the spring for the cutting head.

I'm not familiar with the demagnetizers or what is in the brown box.

Stevie342000

Wed May 14, 2014 2:28 pm

The cutting pitch (in lines per inch) is 112 lpi. To me the boxes look like razor blades for editing tape and it as as quoted outside in or inside out cutting by shifting a level.

Agreed I do not think it is in original Presto Cabinet either, looks like it was mounted in that at a later date.

In the bottom of the cabinet I think that might be a power supply for the amplifier, in another picture there is some US mains sockets below that is a sort of clear object with a wire hanging from it. I think the Clear Object is a fuse or maybe an indicator possibly both.

Anymore than that I do not know. There is a cutting chart which I think is in the reference section this will tell how much recording time you at 112lpi at both speeds. But you may have to clean off some dust before you get to that stage, you can download the cutting charts as well.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:38 am

This?
http://www.prestohistory.com/Presto2.html

"The model 75A. This was PRESTO's economy
model 16" recorder. The pre 1941 price was
listed as $424. This model was also supplied with
an 8 ohm cutter head, and offered as a unit for
installation in custom home systems."

Does it have a rubber ring on the outside of the turntable? I saw something that looked like that at Al Grundy's shop, though it wasn't a lathe.

boryo

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Not sure if you are asking specifically for his lathe but mine has rubber ring on the platter.
I'm wondering if it is possible to put space between tracks with this lathe?
Anyone has ideas on that?

Thanks,
Bob