Very big problem with cutterhead vinylrecorder!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

marct

Very big problem with cutterhead vinylrecorder!

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Hello everybody,
my name is Marc Torringa and i live in Amsterdam ( The Netherlands)
I'm new on this forum, and my first message is also a very big problem!
Sometimes i have a little problem with the English language, but i hope you understand my words.
For years and years, i'm a vinyl and 78 collector, i repair old recordplayers and other stuff and i'm totally crazy about cutting machines.
Since september 2015 i have a vinylrecorder and already made a lot of records (i have some on youtube) This machine was a present from my mother and stephfather, and i only use the VR as a hobby.
But i didn't buy it from Souri :? I bought this machine from a dutch guy, and the vinylrecorder came with a lot of stuff.
It worked fine, but a week ago something happened with the dynamic cutterhead.
I checked the glass fuses, and one was broken and they other was good.
I checked the channels on the cutterhead, and the right side was not working anymore (that was on the side, with the fuse that wasn't broke so that's very weird)
I sended a mail to Souri, and also my mother did but we have no answer yet.
My mother really wants to help me, but she lives on Curacao.
I'm autistic, (that means that i'm in panic sometimes, if something goes wrong) but i can live with with this kind of disease.
But now i have a very big problem, and i really don't know what to do at this moment.
A few days ago, i cut a record but it sounds a little bit weird with one channel :shock:
I know a lot about audio stuff, but i can't repair a cutterhead.
I saw on the lathetroll forum a lot about the vinylrecorder, and is there a little chance that somebody can help me with the cutterhead?
Or is there maybe another solution?
Thank you so much for reading, and have a very nice weekend. (on the picture you can see my cutterhead, and the side with the green wires is broken)

Kind regards,

Marc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fatrecco

Re: Very big problem with cutterhead vinylrecorder!

Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:12 am

Have the fuses the same values (amp/delay)? Mayby...one of them saved the coil and the other Fuse failed. Check the coils with an ohm-meter.

marct

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:50 am

Hi Fatrecco,

a very good friend of mine checked the cutterhead with a multimeter, the left channel is fine and the right channel is broken.
I don't know how the inside looks from the cutterhead (the coils, the windings etc.), and i'm a little bit affraid to open the broken channel.
I hope that somebode has some pictures from the VR cutterhead, when it is open and maybe then i can find a solution for it....
But at this moment, i don't know what to do.

Thanx for reading, and i wish you a very good weekend!

Marc

tragwag

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:33 pm

sorry to hear about that!
I too am a second hand VR owner, so I know the feeling.

If anyone can help you, I'd think it would be Todd (Opcode66) on the forums.
he is winding coils for his own cutter head.
send him an email at: todd@deepgroovesmastering.com

best of luck!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Vinylboy85

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:32 am

Hello everybody!

I'm new in the forum and i want to share my experiencies with the T560.

I bought it in 2011 in Souri's warehouse. For these years in advance to 2015, I was cutting very good sounding records with these machine. Obviously in a first time i have got many different troubles like any t560 newcomer.
Problems like good calibration, changing stylus and put it right in cutterhead.... finding the best sounding trebles..... How to check all the things that can be wrong, identify them.....thinking the right solution....etc..etc...etc... Vinyl hell. And now, in 2017 i found this forum and a few very good friends in my new town that encouraged me to come back cutting again after this stop by two years. And...tachaaaan! New problems come. I hear a very loud shhhhhhhhh when im cutting. What is this? I am pretty sure that's not anyone of the rack modules i have installed. I read here that i must to check the dynamic cutterhead with a multimeter but....how i do this?

Cut cut cut

Aleix :)

The Shank

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 am

Check your stylus... and if "it seems good" that means you don't see very well your tip and edges...
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

Vinylboy85

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 am

I'll considere this. Is very very possible that stylus is broken but i cannot see it very well at microscope. No seems damaged. By the moment i will buy a new stylus.

Thank you so much

RdF

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:41 pm

I also have the same problem marc was posting about, with one difference: in my case both fuses are fine. In fact, just to make sure, I changed each fuse twice, every fuse I used works. I've got the problem down to the cutterhead, left channel (when looking at cutterhead from the front). I can feel the vibrations of music in the right tweeter with my finger, but nothing on the left.

Could it be a blown tweeter? Is it the coils, how can I fix this?
Like marct, I do not know how to repair the cutterhead, or repair a tweeter.

If anybody can help or has any suggestions, it would be a lifesaver, as I have a ton of orders to finish before the month's end.

Thanks.

handcut

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi,

Test the continuity and DC resistance of the coil.

Skrupo

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:03 pm

RdF and marct, do you solve your problem?
I've got the same... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Vinylboy85

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 am

handcut wrote:Hi,

Test the continuity and DC resistance of the coil.
Hi mates
How i do this test in my T560? I'm thinking that i have a fried coil... In my last post i was getting a loud shhh in one channel but camed to a loud "fried sound" like friying eggs. I've checked if this sound comes from the output of RIAA Encoder, the amplifier or from a coil in the cutterhead. If its from a coil of the cutterhead, how many ohms could be shown?

markrob

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 am

Hi,

Why not compare the DC resistance of the good channel with the suspect one? If they are within 10-15%, you are probably fine as far as the coil goes. Too low indicates a shorted winding. You could still have mechanical issues with driver if it was abused.

Mark

Vinylboy85

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:25 am

markrob wrote:Hi,

Why not compare the DC resistance of the good channel with the suspect one? If they are within 10-15%, you are probably fine as far as the coil goes. Too low indicates a shorted winding. You could still have mechanical issues with driver if it was abused.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I've do it the test and the two coils indicate me 3.8 ohms. That seems no damage here, yes? So, if no damage in cutterhead, no damage in amp...where does that infernal frying noise come from? I suspect that comes from main unit output...but where? Surfing by internet i read about transistors in amps make this noise when they are broken...Souri erased serigraphy from the transistors and ic's so i cannot change the suspect one.

Aleix

tragwag

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:24 pm

I've had some problems with the fuses and fuse holder staying intact, one time I thought I blew a channel but really the fuse holder just needed to be put back on.
Everyone should try that first (as well as measuring resistance of the coils)
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Vinylboy85

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi mates,

I was checking all the chain, cutterhead coils and the fuses, amp, automatic control and optimizer, cables etc... and definitely the fried noise comes from the left output of the main unit. Is curious because when the input is disconnected the noise persists. Any pots give me noise at exception of the volume pot that increases it.

Any ideas?