Just switched to plastic and diamond, loud hiss.

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

thetoneloft

Just switched to plastic and diamond, loud hiss.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:38 am

After getting used to cutting acetate with ruby, I made the switch to diamond on makrolon.

The biggest problem I'm having is a pretty invasive hiss. There is an audible noise when the cutting is actually taking place from the stylus, so I figure that's translating to the record.

I'm sure there are many things that could cause this issue, but can anyone give me a good starting point?

Thanks!

SueDenim

Re: Just switched to plastic and diamond, loud hiss.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:40 am

I'd start with adjusting the cutting angle and cutting weight.
Sounds like a silly question be I assume that the diamond is of decent quality (i.e. MyShank) and not damaged?

tapesandtubes

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:54 am

SueDenim wrote:I'd start with adjusting the cutting angle and cutting weight.
Sounds like a silly question be I assume that the diamond is of decent quality (i.e. MyShank) and not damaged?
+1

Adjust the weight and angle, you might be cutting too deep. Are you using any wax etc. on the disc? Worst case scenario is that the stylus is damaged.
Presto K8 | 6N

The Shank

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:10 am

tapesandtubes wrote: Worst case scenario is that the stylus is damaged.

Worst... worst... Not for everybody. right competitor?
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

SueDenim

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:26 am

LMAO :D
you guys!!

thetoneloft

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:32 am

It is a My Shank diamond, and man I hope I didn't break it after the first day :shock:

I am using Turtle Wax. I don't think my weight is too much, because I've adjusted that to the point where the grooves are too shallow. I find that the noise coming from the stylus happens any time it is cutting, if the noise isn't there, the stylus isn't in contact with the record. It's a bummer.

I also find the noise increases more towards the center of the record.

So I'll definitely start off with an angle adjustment.

The Shank

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:46 am

thetoneloft wrote:It is a My Shank diamond, and man I hope I didn't break it after the first day :shock:

I am using Turtle Wax. I don't think my weight is too much, because I've adjusted that to the point where the grooves are too shallow. I find that the noise coming from the stylus happens any time it is cutting, if the noise isn't there, the stylus isn't in contact with the record. It's a bummer.

Makrolon and Diamond... not the best

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

thetoneloft

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:05 pm

The Shank wrote:
thetoneloft wrote:It is a My Shank diamond, and man I hope I didn't break it after the first day :shock:

Makrolon and Diamond... not the best
I know you may not want to answer this, which I can understand! But maybe someone else would:

My good friend has a CNC, and he is cutting my blanks. What is a good material to go after?

The Shank

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:19 pm

thetoneloft wrote: I know you may not want to answer this, which I can understand! But maybe someone else would:

My good friend has a CNC, and he is cutting my blanks. What is a good material to go after?

What's the price you pay for 1 blank made of Makrolon?

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

thetoneloft

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:27 pm

The Shank wrote:
thetoneloft wrote: I know you may not want to answer this, which I can understand! But maybe someone else would:

About $2.40

The Shank

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:30 pm

thetoneloft wrote:
The Shank wrote:

About $2.40
For 0,5$ more, you have a perfect product... And no headache... just a cut and enjoy what you do.

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

thetoneloft

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:04 pm

You are a good salesman sir. I'd be foolish not to try your records, so I will.

I won't be giving up on the project with my mate though. Anyways it's good business for you yeah? The more I mess up, the greater the chance of me using your stylus services more often.

The Shank

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:27 am

Yes yes, I live in a castle, I have 2 yacht and about 5 sports car...

Now let's come back on earth...

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

The Shank

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:47 am

thetoneloft wrote:The more I mess up, the greater the chance of me using your stylus services more often.
And this is where you don't know me at all...

That would be what I want, I would not have made a FAQ page, I would not reply to all mayday email everyday, I would not find solution for many people...

And I would spend all my time on my yacht drinking champagne OBVIOUSLY. :wink:

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

socialroots

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:07 am

Greetings, just want say that I use both pc and Myshank blanks . My general rule of thumb after putting alot of time and money going the slighlty cheaper route of diy pc blanks is that if I use pc I will only emboss with tungsten cones by farmer john, even thos I can and have grind out my own cones, I just cant be making them so consistantly good as Farmerjohn, so I save alot of time and money by just buying. I have made good cuts on pc with diamonds, but its not as consistant, im sure its got to do with the inconsistant quality of the manufacturing process of extruded pc sheets, after all its not made with record making in mind, or to meet the demands of record cutters. Hardness seem to vary slighty batch to batch, the flatness of each blank also is not as perfect. With those 2 factors involved I no longer take risks with cutting pc,cuz pc is much harder than Myshank pvc, so I get much better , longer cutting life out of my expensive diamonds. I only emboss pc now.
Now using diamonds to cut a soft pvc blank that is flat, should I dare to say perfectly flat really does make for more cutting and less frustration, definitly higher consistancy in my finished cuts, not a big of a deal as cutting just one good one , but if I need to cut 5 or 10 records of the same material, that is where the consistancy comes into play. Bad cuts are a waste of time , material and money!
Ive got stacks of pc that were failed cuts, im lucky enuff to have found a plastic recylcling place that gives me a wee little bit of money for my kilos of pc that ive gone thru!
Respect,
Patrick.
p.s, I damadgedmy 1st diamon by not being precise enuff with my cutting angle, and very importantly the weight, better safe than sorry, the devil is in those 2 details, once youve dialed it your good to go, unless you gonna be switching between 2 different blanks that have diff. Thickness and hardness. Thats another reason when I use diamond styli for cutting and ive got the angle, weight dialed in , I just use myshank pvc blanks , after all those 2 were precisly made to work together, and both made for the purpose of cutting audio.

thetoneloft

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:47 pm

The Shank wrote:
thetoneloft wrote:The more I mess up, the greater the chance of me using your stylus services more often.
And this is where you don't know me at all...

That would be what I want, I would not have made a FAQ page, I would not reply to all mayday email everyday, I would not find solution for many people...

And I would spend all my time on my yacht drinking champagne OBVIOUSLY. :wink:
Yikes.... I was being light hearted there bud. Not once have I thought or expressed doubt in your product/customer service. I'm sorry if that struck you sad.

But really though, how big is the yacht??

thetoneloft

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50 pm

socialroots wrote:Greetings, just want say that I use both pc and Myshank blanks . My general rule of thumb after putting alot of time and money going the slighlty cheaper route of diy pc blanks is that if I use pc I will only emboss with tungsten cones by farmer john, even thos I can and have grind out my own cones, I just cant be making them so consistantly good as Farmerjohn, so I save alot of time and money by just buying. I have made good cuts on pc with diamonds, but its not as consistant, im sure its got to do with the inconsistant quality of the manufacturing process of extruded pc sheets, after all its not made with record making in mind, or to meet the demands of record cutters. Hardness seem to vary slighty batch to batch, the flatness of each blank also is not as perfect. With those 2 factors involved I no longer take risks with cutting pc,cuz pc is much harder than Myshank pvc, so I get much better , longer cutting life out of my expensive diamonds. I only emboss pc now.
Now using diamonds to cut a soft pvc blank that is flat, should I dare to say perfectly flat really does make for more cutting and less frustration, definitly higher consistancy in my finished cuts, not a big of a deal as cutting just one good one , but if I need to cut 5 or 10 records of the same material, that is where the consistancy comes into play. Bad cuts are a waste of time , material and money!
Ive got stacks of pc that were failed cuts, im lucky enuff to have found a plastic recylcling place that gives me a wee little bit of money for my kilos of pc that ive gone thru!
Respect,
Patrick.
p.s, I damadgedmy 1st diamon by not being precise enuff with my cutting angle, and very importantly the weight, better safe than sorry, the devil is in those 2 details, once youve dialed it your good to go, unless you gonna be switching between 2 different blanks that have diff. Thickness and hardness. Thats another reason when I use diamond styli for cutting and ive got the angle, weight dialed in , I just use myshank pvc blanks , after all those 2 were precisly made to work together, and both made for the purpose of cutting audio.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain this. That all definitely makes sense, and it has me leaning towards changing my approach with the blanks.

The Shank

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:48 am

thetoneloft wrote:
But really though, how big is the yacht??
Which one? 8)

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

boryo

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:17 am

The Shank wrote:Yes yes, I live in a castle, I have 2 yacht and about 5 sports car...

Now let's come back on earth...
Please, reply to my email when you back to earth :)