How much stylus heating regulation should I use on T560

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

fecharret

How much stylus heating regulation should I use on T560

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi guys, I'm starting with this T560, It's all good and working but I can't figure out the heating amount..
The potentiometer is really weird, the actual zero is below the scale on the unit, so because of that I don't know where should I leave the pot.. just trying I already fuck the heating wire from 2 stylus.. have replaced them but now I'm afraid that I will do it again without help..

handcut

Re: How much stylus heating regulation should I use on T560

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Hello,

If you're just starting out, don't bother with stylus heat for a while (red switch in down position). There's enough ways to kill a stylus without it.
Once you've got the hang of things, you can start to introduce heat a bit, but be very careful. It really doesn't take much to make a difference. Don't worry too much about the 'dial' scale, the numbers are completely arbitrary (as with the 'pitch' dial). Always make sure that you are happy with all other settings such as counter weight, cutting angle etc and start with the knob turned fully anti-clockwise (counter-clockwise) and the red switch off (down). Cut an unmodulated groove (amplifier off) and listen to it while cutting. If there is no noise, great, if there is flick the red switch on. If there is still noise, very slowly start to turn the heater knob until it goes away. A lot of the time, just having the switch on and the dial at 'zero' is enough. Listening is key and again, be careful! It is very easy to over do it.

fecharret

Re: How much stylus heating regulation should I use on T560

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks for your reply.. ;-)