Introducing myself... I think its about time

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mrlogikal

Introducing myself... I think its about time

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:23 am

Hello ___ (Fellow "Lathe Trolls"?)

I am not too sure what the members of this board call themselves, but I have actually been visiting here on and off since early 2016. I am socially awkward for the most part and have 3 posts before this, but I digress.

I have been involved in the music business for almost 20 years now, but not in the manufacturing/cutting/pressing aspect, but as an independent Hip Hop artist. As an independent artist, I have had a lot of experience with the costs/resources/products involved in the business. From, Personally trying to make a professional looking product at home to Paying the outragous prices that some of these greedy scumbags, so comfortably charge for their services. I get it, it takes time and more than often a seasoned-skilled individual to get the best product, but I don't think some of these people understand the position they put artists in, when they charge what they do for something like, lets say a... Record.

Since the mid 90's, I have had a desire, above anything else, to release my music on vinyl. I didn't care if it was a bunch of 7" or 12" singles, E.P.'s or LP's or all of the above. In this genre, the "record" is a comodity above almost everything. My problem was and still is the price of releasing my music in this format. If I want to do it without being signed to a label, it's going to cost me more to have my albums or singles manufactured, than I would ever make off them. the 12" vinyl record is a staple in the Hip Hop community. Not the 7" or 10", but if you have ever tried going through ANY company to put your own music on a 12", you already know that its not cost effective. Vinyl Press or Vinyl Lathe Cut. In fact, as an artist, you need to be able to give away a lot of product to DJ's, Radio Stations, Clubs, Venues, Fans, etc. The whole time feeling each and every record you give away. So I thought to myself, why not see what it takes to do it yourself and in the process, provide a service that your local scene needs access to so desperately?

I have been on this journey (sometimes a nightmare) for just under a year now and am reaching a point where "discouraged" would be pretty much taking it lightly, but I refuse to give up or let myself and anyone I ever told about this endevor, down. I have spent thousands on home cutters (Recordio's, Recordette's, Masco's, Etc) and never getting one that works or functions anywhere close to the way it was advertised. I live in Colorado Springs, CO & I have never met or talked to anyone personally that knows anything about these amazing machines. I have talked to plenty of people that want lots of money from me and not one of them has made me feel I wasn't about to get swindled completely. I am still in the learning process now and havent cut a a single record yet myself. I thought it would be better if I got to know everything I could about how to operate before even a trial run and honestly, with the one cutter I have that works, I don't want to do something to it that it might not be ready for. I do have my cutter on Ebay right now, reluctantly I might add, because I have fallen on hard times financially as well as making an effort to put together enough money for one of the few 7" cutters i've had my mind set on (Atom Vanrock, Hara M180), when or if one becomes available again.

My name is Granvil Porter Bailey X, people have called me "Saint" on the streets my whole life. I used to write, produce, record and perform under the name "Judge Doom" but recently have had to change it and now go by "N.V.One". I have a MASCO RK-5 that's in amazing shape and I have a passion for Vinyl Records, both on and off them. I am a work in progress and am ready to learn as much as humanly possible as well as use that knowelege to provide a record cutting service to the local music scene here in Southern Colorado. I could use all the help I can get and whatever wisdom there is available to me from the experienced cutters on and off this board. Thanks for your time!