VR problems.. Please help before i give up and sell it!!!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

status66uk

VR problems.. Please help before i give up and sell it!!!

Thu May 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Ive had my VR set up for 7 weeks now and after struggling at first to get the right weight so cuts wouldn't have wow on them, I have cut some good tracks while testing, but i couldnt seem to get rid of the occasional squeak in silent bits, In trying to get rid of this i adjusted the angle/height of the head slightly and since then i havent been able to get the weights right for cutting and get the head touching the blank properly while also retaining the tension in the up/down lever ive spent hours adjusting the head very slightly and altering weights but cant get anywhere near cutting again

I wondered if there was a way of doing this? Lets say ive just put a new stylus on and put the head back on and now i need to balance the arm and head ready for cutting,

Any help would be appreciated and a video link up via Facebook or similar would be really helpful,

Im not really a technical or manual person so im really struggling with this and thinking if i dont get it sorted soon ill have to cut my losses and sell up for the sake of mine and my wifes sanity! , this would be a shame as it really cuts beautifully when in everything is set up properly, I just havent got the know how or the patience with it anymore!

Any help would be appreciated!

handcut

Re: VR problems.. Please help before i give up and sell it!!

Wed May 10, 2017 8:46 am

Hang in there, it will come. If you are getting really frustrated it is best to walk away, have a cup of tea (or a shot of vodka) and come back to it when you have calmed down a bit. For all it's quirks and foibles, it is a good system capable of excellent results - but it will really make you work for it sometimes!

Where in the UK are you? I can help you, but these things are better dealt with in person...