Rek-O-Cut project

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

rootz

Rek-O-Cut project

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:55 pm

I recently bought a Rek-O-Kut T43H with a M12 S Overhead and Audax RH5. Now started to try to set it up and doing the first test cuts. I only have a transformer, but no frequency converter, so i changed the speed with ableton and used an iriaa vst. For testing i'm using the russian styli, which works quiet well i think. I'm listening to the cut on my studio monitors and it doesn't sound that bad, a bit of a high tone hiss, but the rest sounds more or less clean. Try to upload a sample soon.
In near future i'll try to install a microscope, vaccum suction, new dashpot, clean everything and try to start with a real stylus.
I tried to figure out how much weight is on the cutterhead, so i used a 20g spring scale. I pulled the head down and then tried to pull up the scale. The cutterhead already started to move with 2-3g, but just a little bit, like 1-2mm. Put it feels a lot more heavy, if i try to lift it up with my fingers. Does someone know, what could be wrong? The leadscrew is 210lpi and it looks like the grooves are already really wide..next thing: is someone selling a 120/108lpi leadscrew?
I was just checking the cutterhead and noticed that some wires of the coil are touching the big part of the stylusholder. Is it okay, or should i try to get the stylusholder free?
Here are some pics (sorry for bad quality):
JCS_4459.jpg
JCS_4457.jpg
JCS_4455.jpg
JCS_4463.jpg
cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rootz

Re: Rek-O-Cut project

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Here is a sample of what a recorded a few days ago with the russian stylus:
original:
https://instaud.io/10OP
sample:
https://instaud.io/10OQ
I'll rewire the head and will install the vacuum soon. Then i'll give it a try with a real stylus.