I want to know how to make a cutting head!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Eletric_King

I want to know how to make a cutting head!

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello everyone, some days ago i start to make a cutting head, i've tried that speakers ones couse i see someone doing this on youtube, but dont work for me, the grooves are to small, the needle at least stay over them, so i take some things, the head and magnets from a old hard disc, a hardened steel neddle (couse i don't have a diamond one) and a lot of other "junk" pieces that i have in home (yes i disassemble a lot of things and keep some pieces here) so if someone know how to make a cutting head totally from scratch (if is possible) pls tell me, or send me some topics about this, thanks :)

idecable

Re: I want to know how to make a cutting head!

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi there! I'm in my first steps of making a cutter head myself, I picked a pair of transducers from Sparkfun

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10975

It's going to take me several attempts to make anything right. So for first experimentation, I've got a 90 degree wood frame to house the transducers in, and I'm now working out a piece of a metal geometry compass to lock/unlock a cutting needle in.

Picked polycarbonate needles from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Record-lathe-cutter-presto-record-in-stylus-needle-styli-rek-o-kut-recorder/282085271275

For amplifier, I'm going with a pair of LM386.

Can you show me pictures of your setup?

Marc

markrob

Re: I want to know how to make a cutting head!

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi,

Good luck with you project. Keep us posted of your work. I think an LM386 will be way too small for this application. Its only capable of a watt or so max power output. While you might be able to run with long term average power in the 1 watt range, you need much higher power drive to deal with cutting high frequencies. Your amp should be capable of 30 to 300 watts to be able to accelerate the mass of stylus and torque tube. Maybe more if you are not able to reduce the moving mass to low values (think 1-2 grams).

Mark