Me, Myself & I are new on this forum

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

NeuroToniK

Me, Myself & I are new on this forum

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Hello everybody,
First of all, I apologize for my bad english. You all know how the french are...
I am a local sound engineer, in a small Island in Indian Ocean, named La Réunion. Some of you may know it, by the traditional music from here: Maloya ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maloya, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCTLJpRXgA for example).
I have the project of lathe cutting here, but don't have all the in & outs of this, and of course I am looking for a professional lathe cutter.
So, I'm looking for discussing about it, and contacts for this project.

Thank you,

NTK

NeuroToniK

Re: Me, Myself & I are new on this forum

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Hello trolls,

One easy question: I'm trying to find, for learning and cutting seriously, a profesionnal or semi-profesionnal lathe (I understand that Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes are very good, specially Neumann's), but it is not simple.
VinylRecorder proposes brand new lathes, which seems to be OK to begin and make "home-made" records. I'm sure I'll have to work a lot before being a "VinylRecorder Master", but I prefer trying to find one "old-school", because of the years and years of research for them, and because of theirs impressive sound quality.
Does anybody know somebody who's trying to sell a lathe? We have a 25-30K$ budget.
We're not so hurried, but excited to begin.
If anybody has any advice or contact, I take it.

See you trolls,

NtK

Gridlock

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:10 pm

I'll sell you my presto K series with custom pre-amp and inverse RIAA for 25 grand. Dm me
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

NeuroToniK

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:52 am

Thank you Gridlock for your answer.
What differences between Presto 6N & K8 like yours?
I saw the Presto History Webpage, and, as you know I do not have the experience to understand the important differences. They seems to be 2 portable recorders very similar?

NtK

Gridlock

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:02 am

OK so J and K and Y series arm swings on the same path that a normal tone arm does and is carried by a little lead screw thing underneath the platter. The N series, and I think all others, there is a big complicated (very simple actually) mechanism that rests one end where a regular tone arm would and the other end rests on the center spindle and the cutting head moves in a straight line towards the center (J K and Y moving in an arc towards the center). You should really look for presto lathes on eBay right now, there is a bunch of machines for reasonable in the USA. Most every expert here has owned a presto lathe at some point. If you really want the hobby to stay with you forever, go presto. Hope this helps!

NeuroToniK

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:28 pm

Sure it does!
At this point of my "knowledge", this information is important to understand.
I saw a very interesting Presto 6N for sale from trag on trolls website and on ebay. Seems to be a good opportunity, you're right.

NtK

Gridlock

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Do it