Help with my Newley accuired cutter

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

evilartform

Help with my Newley accuired cutter

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:41 am

Hi everyone! After years of reading these forums and hoping to get a cutter of my own I finally got a great deal on a vintage homemcuttrr and a cassette duplicator for $140!!! I'm assuming there is going to be trouble. I powered up the cutter and got a picnic plate all ready to roll, motor works , but can't seem to get any radio stations to dial in :( it's AM? I guess. Also seems to be missing the knobs and labels so no idea what anything is meant to do. Played a 33 on it came back like the chipmunks I guess it must be 78rpm. Lots of pops so must need a good dusting, No microphone or inputs with it but there is a strange hole with what looks like chicken wire inside of it.

Says hewlett packard on it and some info about the tubes. Any where I can get a diagram or a manual on this type of thing ?

evilartform

Re: Help with my Newley accuired cutter

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 am

I have only ever seen Wilcox , recordio, reko cut and stuff so not sure what this is Packard bell hi q? Don't they make computers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

evilartform

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:35 pm

Seems this is a packard bell phonocord 1052.

Right away it powered on and the deck moved fine. It has both heads intact and had needles in both and played back a record no problem.

I was attempting to record the radio onto a picnic plate 45 I made but one of the knobs was stuck, I was unable to determine what the knob did as it is not labeled, got it unstuck by the wiggle technique so now it connects and moves. Turns out it was the known tjat comttols bandwith That explains why could not get the radio to work in order
To make
A
Demo recording
image.jpg
I have the cutter taken apart now. I'm hoping to figure out where the original microphone went so I can make my own connection point for audio signal
image.jpg
image.jpg

The item was missing the microphone when I got it but I do spy a three hole connection that looks suspiciously like an XLR hook up
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Any thoughts on the best way to get an audio source into this?

I'm hoping to make records of my music I think I will need to figure out a way to deal with 78rpm as well can I speed up to master recording is there a software for that somewhere ?

Sorry about the sloppy posts I'm using my phone and it's mused to navigate this site from mobile
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

evilartform

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:47 pm

More photos just for anyone who might be able to use the info

evilartform

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:31 pm

image.jpg
Found some jobs in my knob box that kind of Match the vibe

I also noticed the RCA cables that connect heads are pretty bad shape. So I had planned on salvaging a modern RCA cable to get better connection and sound but the older one
Seems longer am I imagining that ? Or will it even make a difference? For now I just repaired the old crusty cables

ilium

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:59 pm

evilartform wrote:I also noticed the RCA cables that connect heads are pretty bad shape. So I had planned on salvaging a modern RCA cable to get better connection and sound but the older one
Seems longer am I imagining that ? Or will it even make a difference? For now I just repaired the old crusty cables
Should work fine.. you could always try plugging in a newer cables and then use a continuity tester before replacing the old cable but it should work.. you might even want to replace the jack.

evilartform

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Hey thanks! Duh I should have thought of using the meter ...

I hacked a mic cable and replaced the really ugly cables but haven't done the RCA yet honestly intimidated to replace the jacks but you are right I'm sure it would help.

ilium

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Re: the 3 pin jack.. I have my doubts about that actually being XLR

This record may have been made in the mid 40's and the XLR connector was originally a product of Cannon Electric and did not evolve fully until maybe the early 50's?

Anyway I found this auction for a photofact service manual which you may find useful.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1946-PACKARD-BELL-1052-RADIO-SERVICE-MANUAL-SCHEMATIC-REPAIR-PHOTOFACT-/271938014473?hash=item3f50c4cd09:g:c-YAAOSw7NNUJsa2&vxp=mtr

evilartform

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Not sure if the cutting needle is bad or something but it didn't seem to cut any thing into the plate. The microphone sort of worked but not really loud at all. The radio still won't pick up any signal so I can't demo record that way and without knowing how to hook up a mic or other audio source I'm out of ideas. Also it shocked me a few
Times hhaha must not be grounded properly I used single gauge steel wire to ground instead of copper because that's what it looked like it originally had

markrob

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi,

Typically, the crystal cutter used on these machines are dead on arrival. You will likely need to have the head rebuilt. Also, given the age of this unit, you would be wise to replace all of the paper foil caps in the cutting signal path (forget about the radio unless you think that might be cool to have running). Also the electrolytic capacitors should also be replaced.

Mark

evilartform

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:26 pm

image.jpg
So we were able to get a really faint recording through the Perceived "XLR " jack though it's was super faint. Then the player back needle snapped :(

I have a few questions.

1. If this tracks at 78rpm do I have to speed up recordings to make a 45rpm 7"

2. Can I use another modern decks motor in order to achieve faster spin against cutting head

3.screw the radio, I want that tube amp sound, is it worth it!? Also how do you all get line level in?

4. Where to get replacement parts?

piaptk

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:51 am

Im not sure where you are or how flexible your schedule is, but I'm having another lathe cut camp in Tucson in a couple weeks. It will give you all the background you need to realize where you are at with that machine and how to move forward.

http://piaptk.limitedrun.com/products/598237-lathe-cut-camp-6-oct-21-23-2017
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

evilartform

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:59 pm

piaptk wrote:Im not sure where you are or how flexible your schedule is, but I'm having another lathe cut camp in Tucson in a couple weeks. It will give you all the background you need to realize where you are at with that machine and how to move forward.

http://piaptk.limitedrun.com/products/598237-lathe-cut-camp-6-oct-21-23-2017

I just moved out to Los Angeles from the east coast I'd love to come out there let me see if I can fit into music schedule.