Rek-O-Kut Imperial restoration

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

kampbell

Rek-O-Kut Imperial restoration

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:01 pm

I am currently restoring a Rek-O-Kut Imperial.

Is it possible to get another Leadscrew and matching Half Nut from anywhere on earth?

I have attached a vacuum tube to clear the swarth and chips (I am cutting MyShank blanks with 462S stylus).

I have had several issues, being in Australia, particularly the motor running at the correct speed. Australia uses 240V 50hz and this unit runs 0n 110V 60hz.
I have replaced the old drive system with a belt drive system from Esoteric Sound that does the job nicely, and can run the Overhead Lathe..

The cutter head is a Audax R56. I am still learning my way around the unit.

Latest problem is the amp, R-8B Recording Amplifier) has a feedback sound when it is on playback.... Any advise?

Cheers

boryo

Re: Rek-O-Kut Imperial restoration

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello,

how did you solved the issue with the motor running on 240 / 50Hz? I have the same issue and still can't find a solution.

Thanks,
Bob

Fela Borbone

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:42 pm

I solved this prblem this way(see link), and the lathe still runing fine.At first I used a 220-125v transforme(and more than 10 hours non stopr, later I changed to a 220-100v to keep the hz/volts ratio(more or less) butmaybe this was not importsnt

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4635&hilit=rek+o+kut+50+hz&start=20

noticed the pics are gone... It shows the sleeve i attached to the motor spindle (for speed correction)and the way I "lathed" itto the rigth size.
I'll try to find the pics, or make new ones,
Best

Fela Borbone

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:56 am

The 100v came from a multitap transformer that was very comon in the midle of last century for regulating the power supply in television sets, as voltage from main varyed wildly form differnt locations.
The sleeve is made of plastic pipe, heated to fit, not rubber. Dont know why is less noisy this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.