Cured resin cloth

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

nathan_hyland

Cured resin cloth

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi guys quick question has anyone attempted to lathe cut cured resin cloth before? I work with it in the aerospace industry and I'm curious because when cured its light weight and very tough and can have a shiny finish like a blank.

Over to the floor.......

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

nathan_hyland

Re: Cured resin cloth

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:53 pm

So I've started looking into it prppper today making up a couple of flat pannel tests.
The one on the left is a 3 ply 10 thou stack section cut so when its cured i can De laminate it and see the internal surface under the smooth finish.
One on the right is a 6 ply stack again from 10 though material this is a solid stack just to see thickness after the cure. Will be autoclaved over the weekend.
Just wondering what ideal depth do you guys go when cutting?

Will keep you posted.
Nathan

nathan_hyland

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:54 pm

I forgot to add pictures sorryImageImageImage

nathan_hyland

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:23 am

nathan_hyland wrote:I forgot to add pictures sorryImageImageImage

Some more pics on the progress this morning.
Unfortunately couldn't run it today so hopefully tomorrow I can get it on.ImageImageImageImageImage

2bitcomputer

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Looks interesting!
What do you guess a 12" or 7" blank would cost making it like this?

nathan_hyland

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:28 pm

Ballpark: £6
Not sure yet usually the price of materials get bumped up a notch when your an aerospace company but right now as I'm trialling the idea I'm using out of shelf life glass cloth again aerospace they have strict shelf life but if its kept frozen the cloth is good for another year. Plus they pay for all waste to be taken off site so I'm helping them in a way.
Just waiting for that damn autoclave run.....

nathan_hyland

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:31 pm

nathan_hyland wrote:Ballpark: £6 for a 7"
Not sure yet usually the price of materials get bumped up a notch when your an aerospace company but right now as I'm trialling the idea I'm using out of shelf life glass cloth again aerospace they have strict shelf life but if its kept frozen the cloth is good for another year. Plus they pay for all waste to be taken off site so I'm helping them in a way.
Just waiting for that damn autoclave run.....

IF trials are successful my end I will be looking to send blanks out to intrested parties.

nathan_hyland

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:15 am

nathan_hyland wrote:Hi guys quick question has anyone attempted to lathe cut cured resin cloth before? I work with it in the aerospace industry and I'm curious because when cured its light weight and very tough and can have a shiny finish like a blank.

Over to the floor.......

**update**
Trial 1&2 failed to give me the smooth finish. As you can see in the pictures has a dimple effect. So I put together a report on trail 1 still writing up number 2 but created an RCCA (route course corrective actions)
So I learn from my mistakes over the weekend I should have trial 3,4&5 ran in the clave.
I wont put you to sleep by adding the RCCA on unless you guys want.
I was never 100% sure it would work more like 80% but I haven't lost any hope and I am confident I can get the smooth finish.

To Be Continued..........

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

nathan_hyland

Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:50 am

Update.......
Trial 3 was successful.
I laid up one in 10thou and one in 5thou glass cloth also changed my method on the final bag up for autoclave.
The 5thou failed I think because it wasn't thick enough it's a tad warped, but the 10thou has the smooth finish on top.
Now to run another trial identically as the last one and start the next phase of the trial.
Under a heat lamp and turtle wax (what I have seen pre lathe cut video's) I am going to dig my scalpel softly into the cloth to see how far it will go down and also run it across the cured cloth to kinda semi replicate a lathe cut the best I can.
My brother has also bought into the idea and over his side of the factory is replicating what I am doing in a different material.
The show must go on........ImageImageImage

nathan_hyland

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:54 am

UPDATE 17/4/18
Hi all sorry I haven't been active very busy end of 2017 start of 2018 with my little girl being born.
So resin cure did work I managed to obtain the smooth finish unfortunatly when we measured the surface it was very inconsistent in thicknesses.
My brother caught wind of this as he works the other side of the factory and presses glasscloth. We have had better results with this as its "waffle pressed" again a smooth surface aswell.
I'm just waiting to get hold of the spec of the material and SOP for the actual press and willing to offer out both spec/SOP & product.
So there you go I have been busy but under radar.
Keep spinning folks!!!ImageImage