Noob - First Lathe - How Did I Do?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Donniej

Noob - First Lathe - How Did I Do?

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking for a long time and finally found a lathe.... so here I am :)
At an estate sale there was a complete Presto 6N in unknown condition. It appeared to have sat in the same closet for the past several decades but still had the Bausch & Lomb microscope (with light), 1-D cutting head and several (diamond?) stylus. $900 later it was home, cleaned and oiled. It powered on and all the mechanical parts work well. The only issue so far is the 15ohm cutting head has a short (infinite ohms), so I sent it out to West-Tech for repair and to convert it to 8 ohm. The dash pot was missing its seal and had leaked out all its oil, so I'll be making a new seal out of silicone and filling it with mineral oil, unless there are new ones available?

After the cutting head is done, I'll need an amp. I was thinking of using a Sony stereo (wired to mono) that I have laying around. If anyone has a feed screw for sale that's good for cutting 78's please let me know, the only one I have is 224 LPI.

Thank you.