Cutting mono with stereo cutterhead (My first question)

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Hedelain

Cutting mono with stereo cutterhead (My first question)

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello everyone!

So good to be on this forum with all you talented and knowledgable people. First up about me. I am a newbie to cutting and come with a musician and mixing background. I recently bought a T-560 that I am just setting up and getting all the parts together. But there was one thing that slipped from the 16 hours marathon training in the south of Germany.

My first question is about cutting from a mono master. As I understand it, the two cutter speakers will phase eachother out causing silence. So I guess my question is: How do I cut from a mono source? What should I be aware of? Any good source of information to be recommended?

Thanks in advance!

markrob

Re: Cutting mono with stereo cutterhead (My first question)

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi,

That would be true if you tried to playback a cut with mono pickup (e.g. no response to vertical motion) if both drivers were wired with the same polarity. However, they are not. One of the drivers is wired in the opposite polarity with respect to the other. So the end result of feeding the system with a mono signal is lateral motion which is mono. Assuming your head is wired correctly, feeding mono to the system will result in a mono recording.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Hedelain

Re: Cutting mono with stereo cutterhead (My first question)

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:52 am

Makes perfect sense. Thanks. It did sound very good once I started cutting.