Hi, new member signed up after lurking for a few years.

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Craig

Hi, new member signed up after lurking for a few years.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi,

My name is Craig, and I have been interested in record cutting and all things related since I got into turntables at 18 years old about 20 years ago. Because I love finding out how the things that interest me work I got very interested in cutting records myself.

I have been lurking here for I don't know how many years now and I decided to finally sign up to get some information about the RCA lathe I have as well as some cutting stylus I got with it. I wanted to start cutting for fun and then an RCA lathe came up on ebay but from a local seller I had dealt with before and had a great experience so I had to get it.

It was a project that never really got started because like many other people life got in the way. I hate having things sitting unused that other people could be using so I figured this would be the best place to ask for advice. I also plan to offer it to the community here before I offer it anywhere else.

I will posts some pics and information later tonight or tomorrow with all the lathe related stuff I have. I have some Capp cutting stylus, a couple that appear resharpened and a dozen or so that are in various condition. The lathe is an RCA 70 or 72, just the lathe part, not the whole turntable. I have the RCA Hifi cutting head as well 18501c or something, I have to find it for all the details.

I also have something that look like cutting stylus but are not sharpened, they are almost for sure sapphire mounted in a aluminum shank but like I said not sharp, and they are short so couldn't be sharpened. They may be useful for embossing or whatever that other method that has become popular is called. I haven't followed things that closely the last 2-3 years so Im not sure exactly whats being used now.

Thanks for reading,
Craig

Aussie0zborn

Re: Hi, new member signed up after lurking for a few years.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:41 pm

Welcome to the forum, Craig.