Mounting/Adjusting Cutter Head/Depth of Cut

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

soeffingodly

Mounting/Adjusting Cutter Head/Depth of Cut

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Good Afternoon My Fellow Trolls,

I picked up a Presto K-8 portable record lathe that has a 1-C cutting head on it. I am having issues trying to find the best way to mount the head properly (and level) so that I can adjust the tension spring accordingly. I have made some cuts but they have come out awful (expected).

The platter seems to not be level. I did check the base I have it sitting on and it is off a tiny, tiny bit but not as much as I see when I place the level on the platter. Wondering if shipping possibly caused some shift there? It is set to 33 1/3 and seems to run pretty well. Even when I propped it up and had it about level I was still unable to get the head/stylus set properly.

Currently using some record blank plastic blanks and a tungsten embossing needle.

I had been using my iMac running software for the iRIAA and then ran that to a Behringer mixer w/USB and then on to the radio input of the K-8. Should I skip the USB mixers and get a connector to link my iMac direct to the mixing board?

There are so many breakpoints in the process it is hard to know where to start aside from the obvious. I did search this forum extensively and have read so much information. But nothing I've tried so far has worked.

Noob looking for some more experienced trolls help and knowledge of the K-8 and common pitfalls.

You all rock!
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

Gridlock

Re: Mounting/Adjusting Cutter Head/Depth of Cut

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 pm

Maybe you should dm me. Are there any pen marks on the platter? My k8 has a big pen mark from the center to the outside of the platter. I didn't think much of it until I started cutting on some acetates and I noticed that the platter would visibly wobble unless I started the motor ON THAT PEN MARK. I have no idea why this is, but there are other reasons it could wobble. Such as a broken bearing or a stupid little screw sticking up somewhere or the rubber ring being warped. Where are you located?
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

soeffingodly

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:11 pm

I found a guy locally who works on this type of stuff (turns out he had a Presto K-10 sitting in his recording studio closet that was in fantastic shape) who is going to help me take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning. I noticed the platter was not level and something must have happened during shipping so he was going to iron that out as well.

I'll revisit this once I get it back and start cutting again with any updates. I know it works and it will cut records that sound crappy but audible. Pretty impatient to get it back and see how many more frisbees I can make!

soeffingodly

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:54 am

Machine definitely got bumped pretty hard in shipping. It is running even better than when it landed.

Will give some embossing a shot with the recordblanks dot com discs and report back after I try and get the cutter head mounted at the proper height and angle. [Again]

My assumption is that when the cutting head cam lever is all the way forward the cutting shank should sit at the proper height above the record and allow the tension spring to do what it needs... Operating under that assumption it looks like I need to move the head up in the slots and try and make sure that is level.

I did notice the K-8 turntable is a bit off in terms of it being level but it's due to the case/feet which I remedy by placing some small wood slats underneath.

Any embossing suggestions are welcome! I'm heating the discs and trying to follow what I've read on the forums and online but am always open to suggestions/tips from more seasoned folks and their experiences.

I have made some successful albeit terrible sounding cuts with it so I think it's now a matter of trial, error and experience.

Appreciate it.

-S

soeffingodly

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am

Update!

So I think I finally got the cutting head situated... (for the most part)

I did a test cut on a blank last night and it cut well. But without better heating adjustments and some suction to get the swarf out of the way the sound was really, really, really low.

Some of this can be tweaked via levels but I think some other facets is definitely the depth of the cut.

soeffingodly

Wed May 09, 2018 8:52 am

After tons of tweaking I was able to finally get a decent, pretty terrible cut on my K-8.

Using Farmer John's embossing needles on record blanks dot com blanks (all came with the K-8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vG_35zyJmM

I wouldn't call this a true representation of the sound since it's my phone recording near one of the speakers. Drums sound a bit "tinny." The sound volume typically would be a lot louder for any professional record but this is probably my best cut so far volume wise. Still a lot of surface noise. And I haven't even set up my rig in the final configuration since I am in the middle of moving/packing.

I'm thinking of moving to sapphire embossing needles and different blanks but am hoping to learn all I can with the needles and blanks that came with the unit in the meantime.

Jccc

Wed May 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Have you tried embossing with polycarbonate?

i had better results embossing on Polycarbonate with the tungsten needles from ebay.

i tried embossing using the tungsten on the recordblanks.com ones and i just got was horrible surface noise no matter what adjustment i made with the head.
i even had a heat lamp and used car wax on it.

i think you might have better results with polycarbonate if you are embossing.

thats just my opinon

soeffingodly

Thu May 10, 2018 9:56 am

Hey Jccc - I have not tried using any PC blanks. Yet. Essentially I am burning through the PVC blanks and needles that came with the K-8 to get me rolling. I also used heat and wax.

Do you use the long embossing needles? [saw there are a few versions on EBay] Also which blanks do you find work best for you? I know everyone has a preference of what works best for their set up but I'm starting to get low on blanks and need to get some blanks ordered so I can keep cutting.

Any experience and/or advice is welcome.

Currently thinking about grabbing some sapphire embossing needles and trying some other blanks and seeing what happens. I don't expect stereo cuts but I think I can generate some decent sounding records with the head I have.

Jccc

Thu May 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Hello,

I am using these needles here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tungsten-needle-styli-stylus-presto-in-rek-o-kut-record-lathe-cutter-recorder/282085273984?epid=626924226&hash=item41ad97b180:g:WVkAAOSwk5FUtyNx

I have been using them with my k8 and 6n. You just have to adjust the head so its more leaning back as far as it can go.

Then just adjust the spring screw weight. I have my weight set to its heaviest setting to make the grooves deep.

I have been getting long life out of them so far and have not even changed them out yet.

The only downside to embossing is that you have to watch your levels or else if you cut too loud then the grooves will collide and cause skips.
But I have been having really good results with the levels and have little to no surface noise.

For recording blanks I go to my local plastic dealer here in San Diego.

I buy a 4' x 9' sheet of polycarbonate and cut it out at home. The sheet cost me around $50 and I can get 78 7" squares out of it along with some 5" squares for test cuts and experiments.

If you have a local plastics dealer in your area I am sure they sell sheets of Polycarbonate there.

soeffingodly

Tue May 15, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks Jccc! Appreciate the advice. I am still trying to find my sweet spot. But so far I can say I think I'll be using different blanks moving forward. It was nice to have a stack of PVC blanks to make frisbees but I think my time to try some new material/needles is certainly in order.

Seriously, thanks again man.