Cut turns out in mono (Angulo system)

Distinct from the "Members Only" section about business disputes, this is a section for those special few sellers who have distinguished themselves through clearly intentional efforts to scam multiple customers. If you intend to start a thread here, please check it with Steve E. first.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sunkingrecords

Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Hello guys!

I'm trying to check whether the polarity of my head drivers is correct, after messing around a little with the wires.
I know if I feed a mono signal, the movement of the saphire should be lateral. I'm feeding a 10hz sine wave to see it be eye.

But I'm not sure what should I see if I feed the wave only on one chanel, or If I feed it out of phase.
Maybe the test I'm doing is flawed in some way?

The issue which leads me to check this, is thay my cuts are turning out in Mono. Even if I feed a stereo signal. And I already checked that each driver is actually getting the correct Left/right side of the music.

Kind regards!

Miguel
I choose not to run .-

markrob

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi,

If you have the polarity wrong, the head will move vertically when fed a mono signal to both L & R drivers. If that is the case, just change the polarity of one of the drivers and you should see lateral movement.

Mark

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Cut turns out in mono (Angulo system)

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:54 pm

When you start new threads on your system, it will be helpful to readers to know what system you are using.

You are using the Angulo system. And since you are a pioneer, and we know nobody else with your system, it may be harder to give certain kinds of help. We hope Raul starts posting here and can weight in.

http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5200

The head certainly looks like a stereo head!!

In a stereo groove, the two groove walls should look different from one another: Not parallel.

sunkingrecords

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:46 am

markrob wrote:Hi,

If you have the polarity wrong, the head will move vertically when fed a mono signal to both L & R drivers. If that is the case, just change the polarity of one of the drivers and you should see lateral movement.

Mark
Hi Mark, I did try reversing the polarity, but I never get to see the vertical movement :(

It's a strange design this head, because the assembly where the two drivers meet (where you put the sapphire) has a metal holder from below, which is a flat triangle. I can see how the flat shape allows only lateral movement. It is very different to the pictures of Neumann heads, where this assembly is sustained by I believe it's called the "torque tube".
Steve E. wrote:When you start new threads on your system, it will be helpful to readers to know what system you are using.

You are using the Angulo system. And since you are a pioneer, and we know nobody else with your system, it may be harder to give certain kinds of help. We hope Raul starts posting here and can weight in.

http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5200

The head certainly looks like a stereo head!!

In a stereo groove, the two groove walls should look different from one another: Not parallel.
Thanks for the tip! I forgot to mention the system I'm using
Yes the head is stereo, at least up to the drivers.

I'm now getting sound in the grooves. Mono, out of pitch, noisy distorted and heavily filtered, but sound at least! :)
I choose not to run .-

markrob

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:53 am

Hi,

Can you post a clear closeup picture of the head showing the the stylus holder and linkages to the drivers?

Mark

sunkingrecords

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:50 am

I'll shot a few pics when I return home, definitly

Kind regards
I choose not to run .-

Steve E.
Site Admin

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:20 am

Bad system, unfortunately.