3D printed record lathe

Stuff not covered by the other...Forii? whatever. General goofiness. (You should not post here unless you've been contributing elsewhere on this site.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

chaosbc

3D printed record lathe

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:42 am

I went to the 1st DIY convention near Paris (http://owni.fr/2012/09/20/fete-le-vous-meme/) this week-end and I discovered further about 3D printers. I discussed with guys about my under process project which is building a DIY recording lathe. From their perspective it should be possible to PRINT one ! (at least most of the parts).
Maybe (for sure) somebody did think about this before me or even tried...
I would like to have your feedback about it.
Well...maybe I go way to far ahead but...if I indeed manage to be successfull in building my DIY record lathe (and if it is not too much a crapy lathe) , I strongly consider in making the necessary 3D files so anyone could build easily a record lathe with a 3D printer such as a Reprap for example...

fraggle

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am

whats the cost related of using this machine?

chaosbc

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:57 am

The machine can cost less than 500 euros (especialy if someone who own already a 3D printer can print the parts to build your own 3D Printer)
The plastic roll is around 80 euros (can be found easily on ebay) according to the quality, type of plastic and according to what I've been told a small plastic part (for example a small gearing or bearing) costs few eurocents (0,10 to 0,50)

more info here : http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RepRap
Last edited by chaosbc on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tragwag

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 am

I've thought about this as well.
i have a friend who is making his own printer, and I'll certainly be experimenting with the two 6N's I have to play with. Even making some of the pieces would be very useful.

Though it may not be perfect, I would assume that feedscrews could be made the same way.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

dubcutter89

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:46 pm

hi,
i like the idea about your diy lathe, but i have some doubt with printing a
WHOLE lathe.

i guess there are a lot of important pieces which should (or have to) be
made out of metal like the base, sled, carriage, bearings etc. and will
define the qulity of the thing.

but i guess it could be handy for spare parts, prototypes and many other
things!

flotzki did some 3d printing for his lofi bricolage:
http://www.floka.com/lofi/lofihead_due.html

... all the best to you and your project!

lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

chaosbc

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks a lot dubcutter89 ! Sorry if I did not expressed myself very clearly...I also think the whole lathe would not be a good thing (a steel screw and a plastic screw ...it's not the same deal)...
That said when I see this on the internet, I cannot stop on thinking this can be a great help !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4rrh6Pl4vow#!

tragwag

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:48 am

wow.
there it is!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

chaosbc

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:52 am

Well I assume everything needs a starting point.
I made a 3D model of my recording head support and uploaded it to Thingiverse. For those who don't know what is thingiverse, it is basically a website where you can upload/download object to be printed with a 3D printer.
I did it because I was boring while waiting for some parts to be received to move forward with my DIY lathe.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31460

powerstrip

Re: 3D printed record lathe

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 am

You know, a 3D scanner is crucial as well. If you can get am model you like, the 3D scanner will scan all the mechanisms and you could re-print, anything, be it a scully or presto 6N

But yea i prefer the real thing, 3D printing can be very useful for unobtainable parts.

diamone

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:52 am

Not to be the cold water guy here but...

Why 3D print a whole entire lathe when technically under the same circumstances, you could theoretically enter in your WAV or MP3 data and 3D print your LP mother considerably more cheaply and easily, silver-spray it and send it off for pressing the same as if it had been cut onto lacquer or DMM?
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)

markrob

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 am

diamone wrote:Not to be the cold water guy here but...

Why 3D print a whole entire lathe when technically under the same circumstances, you could theoretically enter in your WAV or MP3 data and 3D print your LP mother considerably more cheaply and easily, silver-spray it and send it off for pressing the same as if it had been cut onto lacquer or DMM?

Hi,

That sounds like a great idea, but when you look at the required dimensions of what must be printed, you'll soon discover that it can't be done with the current 3D printing technology (this includes the high end machines). If you search, you will find an attempt to do just what you suggest with very poor results. A cool demonstration, but not even close to ready for prime time.

Mark

diamone

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 am

That's not counting the YouTube April Fools joke video from last year, right?
``new 96KHz nozzel (sic) lets you record music on a 3-inch disc for play back on a normel (sic) turntabel (sic).''

Reminds me some years ago one of the audiophile magazines I forget which one now was touting a DVD that had ten times the data storage - where you could record minutely fine tracks inbetween the DVD tracks - and then had a Gamma-ray-fuzzed picture of it.

Sounds a lot like a Blu-Ray no?
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)