vintage mono "portable" Hi Fi

Stuff not covered by the other...Forii? whatever. General goofiness. (You should not post here unless you've been contributing elsewhere on this site.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cuttercollector

vintage mono "portable" Hi Fi

Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:54 pm

I have been having fun listening to vintage HiFi (and not so HiFi) mono records through one of a pair of Ampex powered tube speakers. These really sound great for what they are. An 8" JBL driver in a portable case run full range with compensating EQ driven by a built in 10W. amp using 6V6 output tubes. These were built as monitor speakers for Ampex portable tape machines. I am using one (they have a standard RCA line in) to supply amplification for a portable Rek-O-Kut turntable in a case, made for I don't know what, which I had been hoping to use as a basis for a cutter turntable. It has their 3 speed Rondine table and a GE arm where only the headshell pivots vertically with a GE mono variable reluctance magnetic cartridge with Lp and 78 styli and the matching 1 tube preamp with switchable record compensation curves all built in the case with a cover. It was all reasonably good stuff when new. I would say that it still provides pretty good sounding mono audio from vintage mono 78, 45 and Lp records. Not really the same as listening to the same records on modern equipment and in some ways better.

cuttercollector

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:50 pm

I posted a video of it on Youtube playing a vintage 78.
Not the Ampex speaker, just the direct GE preamp line out through a buffer to my computer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUlCzOrh8U0

motorino

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:28 am

yeah!