NEW iRIAA curve preamp boxes for sale!

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

NEW iRIAA curve preamp boxes for sale!

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:26 am

Yo everybody, my good buddy, Max Gorbman (an electrical engineer by training) built me several iRIAA boxes, and I convinced him to put together some more for those of you who want a hardware preamp. It works great and I use them a lot! These are plug and play and ready to roll....

(Pictured is desktop model with stereo summing option)

Presenting the Reference Lathe Preamplifier (RLP)

http://www.mxtrnx.com/reference-lathe-preamplifier.html

Placed between the signal source and amplifier, the RLP applies a precise inverse RIAA equalization curve for use with all types of record lathes, lacquers, etc. that will later be played back on a standard turntable. Compared to a parametric EQ, the guesswork is taken out of the process of finding the correct transition points in the curve. The RLP is optimized to apply a stable curve regardless of source or driving impedances, with minimal insertion loss, low noise and high headroom.

At 20 kHz, the RLP has a gain of about +6dB. At 1kHz, following the inverse RIAA curve, the gain is -12dB. Depending on the overall setup, this may require users to boost the signal or increase amplifier sensitivity to achieve the same perceived output. In most cases a modest adjustment is sufficient.

The RLP is comprised of two fully independent sections. It is suitable for both stereo and mono cutter heads. If both heads are mono, two heads can be fed signal independently at once directly from the RLP. A stereo summing option is available to facilitate mono operation.

The desktop model is housed in a steel slant face chassis. The circuit is constructed on a through-plated fiberglass PCB and all external components are chassis mounted. The power supply is fully isolated through an internal transformer, so only a non-polarized mains outlet is needed. The unit can be operated continuously with no duty cycle.

Do not use the RLP to drive an RIAA preamp directly. Without attenuation a line level signal will overload any phono preamp.

Specifications:

Input impedance: 10k ohm
Maximum input signal: 10V P-P @20 kHz
Maximum output level: 20V P-P @20 kHz
Power supply: Internal AC transformer, 18VDC dual output
Power input: 120V non-polarized mains plug (220V version available)
Channels: 2
Inputs: unbalanced 1/4” phone jack x2
Outputs: unbalanced 1/4” phone jack x2
Pilot indicator, mains fuse holder

Pricing:

Desktop model, fully assembled and tested $249
2U Rackmount model, with power switch $349
Stereo summing, add $49
Switchable, sums both inputs to both outputs. One input will go to both outputs, or a stereo signal is summed to mono and sent to both outputs.
Buffered gain controls, add $79*
A gain knob for each channel varies between fully muted up to an extra 12dB of available gain, buffered at the output to provide a consistent driving impedance at all gain settings.
Transformer balanced outputs, add $149*
Includes gain control plus transformer balanced XLR outputs and transformer buffered unbalanced 1/4” outputs. Ground lift switch provided per channel. Rated to same max output level specification.
Custom options available, inquire at automg-at-gmail-dot-com

* Only available with rackmount version

Desktop models available immediately starting 10/5/2015. Rackmount models built to order with a 5 week lead time maximum, depending on parts availability.

Available for local pickup near Tucson, AZ. Shipping to the continental US $20 per item. International shipping please inquire.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

tragwag

Re: NEW iRIAA curve preamp boxes for sale!

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:27 pm

that's great, nice little box there
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

dimi751

Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:07 pm

nice one piaptik reasonable price too

mxtrnx

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi, my name is Max and I'm the person who is building these. I got some really good guidance from Mike (piaptk) during prototyping, and I believe I've come up with something that performs well and is accessible to lathe operators on a budget. I'm happy to answer any questions.

I currently have a finished desktop model up for auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Presto-Grampian-Record-Lathe-iRIAA-inverse-RIAA-preamplifier-filter-/262089460795?hash=item3d05bfcc3b

dimi751

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi mike

Is there any way to provide some sampled sounds of cutted record
Using this iriaa ??

And an example if what cutted head was used

Dimi

mxtrnx

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi, the first rack unit is being shipped soon, I just wanted to post a picture. I still have some desktop models that are built and ready to go. I've added new features to my offerings, VU meters and a heater supply, check out the website for details.
rlprack001front.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trailerparkjesus

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Are you still making these?

Spiderxdeath

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:27 pm

Yes! I'm interested too....

pandapolar

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:34 pm

these are brilliant.. highly recommended!

mxtrnx

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi all, thanks for the renewed interest. I am going to be available to make more of these around the middle of August and possibly sooner if things work out with regards to a move to a new city. I still have PCBs and parts for these and will be building to order, with a deposit. Like many (most?) of you I'm in this for the interest and enjoyment, and while I do wish to be compensated for my work I have tried to price these so that they are accessible to all levels of lathe operators.

I will post here when I'm back up and running.

Spiderxdeath

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Is anyone else out there in troll land making these- I am in desperate need...

chris king

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:23 pm

DO YOU HAVE ANY OF THESE READY TO SHIP OR IS THERE A WAITING TIME ON THEM THANKS CHRIS

Gridlock

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Y splitter in a fancy box
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

mxtrnx

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi! Just wanted to let everyone know I am getting ready to build more of these and will be able to start shipping at the beginning of September. Full info and pricing is available at mxtrnx.com; prices are the same as original post.