Nilsen 3UZ (Melbourne) early commercial lathe (1940's?)

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

EvLoutonian

Nilsen 3UZ (Melbourne) early commercial lathe (1940's?)

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:13 am

Hi folks.

I have this commercial cutting lathe from the 3UZ production studio at 45 Bourke St, Melbourne (circa 1940's?)

Bill Armstrong (of Armstrongs Recording Studio / AAV, Melb) told me he remembered there being two of them at the Bourke St studio. I believe they were used to cut productions being made at the Bourke St studios.

Accompanying the lathe is the big 3-phase motor (which would have been mounted separate to the floor-standing unit), and also a wonderful Grampian RA-4 valve cutting amplifier and BBC cutting head.

Obviously this is a rather old lathe now, and would require some dedication to work out the proper configuration and get it into action, but most of the main components are all there, and it is a rather special piece of engineering and history, also.

It's something I picked up some time ago, with the intention being to explore the possibility of doing direct-to-disc live recordings, but there are some other more immediate things to attend to both time and money-wise at the moment, so I'm considering selling this in order to fund other purchases if there is enough interest here or elsewhere.

It's difficult for me to gauge the value of this package, but my feeling is that even as a collector's piece it could be quite valuable, certainly well up into the thousands of dollars at least. But considering it is not only rare (to say the least), but also a really wonderful piece of engineering, I'd hope to find somebody whose wish would be to restore it and put it back into use, either locally (Melb, Australia) or internationally (though I imagine the size might be an issue in terms of transportation!)

Feel free to send me an email with any interest:
evanlorden@gmail.com

Cheers!
Evan
0-IMG_0330-main front-on.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EvLoutonian

Re: Nilsen 3UZ (Melbourne) early commercial lathe (1940's?)

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:11 am

Grampian RA4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gridlock

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:37 pm

That's incredible. Lots of brumbies on here that would want it. You should make sure whoever gets it is gonna leave that original paint though
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

dietrich10

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:32 am

Nice find. Reminds me of the RCA lathes.
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

EvLoutonian

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Yes, it's a lovely thing..

I have had some interest, but cost of shipping internationally is a bit of a limitation.

Still open to offers, and would like to work something out soon if possible. So get in touch if you're interested.
Thanks

petermontg

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:03 am

With regards to Freight/shipping.

I've recently used these chaps into Ireland as recommended by another troll

Hands down they beat everyone for cost and were extremely helpful (No packing available)

They will pick up the box stick it on a ship and you will look after customs/duty clearance etc your end.

http://www.ctfreight.com/contact/melbourne/

Best
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.