Wanted: Presto 6N Feedscrew - 120LPI

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Donniej

Wanted: Presto 6N Feedscrew - 120LPI

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:01 am

Title says it all.... I'm looking for a feedscrew to cut 78's. Please let me know how much shipped in the USA.
Thank you.

emorritt

Re: Wanted: Presto 6N Feedscrew - 120LPI

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:51 pm

A majority of commercial 78 records were cut at around 100 lines per inch; at least this is what was specificed in early documentation of Eldridge Johnson who founded Victor Talking Machine. I have an extensive collection of Presto literature and if I recall correctly, I think feed screws for the 6N were offered at 88, 96 104 (or 106 - I don't recall which), 112, 120, 136, etc. Alan Graves might be able to clarify. 112 would be a little fine if you're going for authenticity. Again, different pitches were used for varying lengths of performances to make the disc look "full" for the consumer. The only vintage commercial pressings I have in my collection that were limited to 100 LPI (very early discs here) and were short performances were by Caruso, Melba, etc. - who could get away with selling the public a disc that looked "short"! I have a Melba disc of Comin' Thro' the Rye that is pressed on a 12 inch disc - with a LOT of empty space. And of course the cost of the disc was something like $3.00 which compares to almost $100 today. But, Melba...