Help me identify this handcranker?

Devoted to discussion of all-acoustic record-playing machines, such as Edison cylinder players, Victrolas, Brunswick Ultonas, and the like. When the Big Blackout happens, this will be the only audio evidence of our civilization (as it is).

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

swampster

Help me identify this handcranker?

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Hello trolls! I'm new to the forum, and I'm hoping you guys could help me out.
I recently bought a portable "suitcase" phonograph, and I'm not sure of the manufacturer or model. The guy who sold it to me said that the maker was the same company that pressed the 78 that it was sold with, which was "Sonora". Haven't been able to find any sonora models that resemble the one that I bought, and I was hoping you guys could help me in identifying it. Pictures attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

THEVICTROLAGUY

Re: Help me identify this handcranker?

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:49 pm

greetings,
the machine you have was manufactured by birch in chicago around 1935. birch built 90% of the portable phonographs of that era for hundreds of companies who put their own name on them. the birch is a generic phonograph, all virtually identical in construction, sometime built with the crank in front or on the right side. the layout is identical on all models, sometimes the machine is mounted sideways in the case depending on where they wanted the crank positioned. these were sold through sears as silvertone machines, montgomery wards sold them as solotone machines, they are also identical to the coronaphone, waters-connolly, rca, hit of the week, sterling, cecilian, as well as the sonora. none of the mentioned companies actually made the phonograph, they were all manufactured by birch, they even produced an Edison machine touting that Edison had designed it, the only thing Edison did was supply his name and pocket the check they gave him for using his signature trademark.

the birch is a well made simple phonograph using a single spring motor and aluminum diaphragm reproducer to give it volume. the parts are all interchangeable with the other machines i mentioned. there are actually hundreds of these machines with dozens of different names, but all came out of the birch plant in chicago. they were popular and inexpensive. if well cared for they actually sound quite good. the problem is the tone arm is cast pot metal. eventually the pot metal will swell freezing the tone arm. this is caused by inter granular degeneration, a phenomenon of pot metal.

the birch is a good knock around portable phonograph and was popular until the advent of the amplifier. birch continued to make the acoustic phonograph with an electric motor until the company folded in the late 1940s as it could no longer compete with the new portable" record players ".

Benjamin

swampster

Re: Help me identify this handcranker?

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Extremely helpful! Thanks a million. Love your youtube channel by the way