Reducing Background "noise" on old cylinder recordings

Devoted to discussion of all-acoustic record-playing machines, such as Edison cylinder players, Victrolas, Brunswick Ultonas, and the like. When the Big Blackout happens, this will be the only audio evidence of our civilization (as it is).

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Bahaduras

Reducing Background "noise" on old cylinder recordings

Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:38 pm

I am not an audio engineer and probably wouldn't call myself an audiophile. So this may seem like a dumb question: I have a couple of really good Edison cylinder players and I have a collection of over a 100 cylinders (I know not actually that large) with a lot of unique recordings. As you know there can be a lot of degradation of sound and background noise on these really old cylinders. Sometimes the "noise" overwhelms the recording. I want to play some recordings I have made of the cylinders to friends who I think would enjoy them. Are there any good inexpensive audio software solutions that can clean up some the background noise and hiss?

THEVICTROLAGUY

Re: Reducing Background "noise" on old cylinder recordings

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:16 am

the CANAPHONIC ARCHIVETTE has quite good noise cancelling properties right off the cylinder. the audio you are hearing has not been processed. this is an original columbia indestructible cylinder. by using additional filtering you can reduce the hash background noise almost to zero. there are currently over 100 archivettes in use around the world, museums, archives and collectors are using the archivhette to digitize cylinder recordings, both 2 and 4 minute. many of the audio files are as good or better than anything on the U.C.S.B. cylinder archive using the archeophone, here is an examples of the results...

THEVICTROLAGUY@GMAIL.COM