Xray records

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Xray records

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:33 pm

One of the problems I ran into gluing the thin lexan onto the xray is that the glue didn't seep into either of them (like it does paper), so it looked like a galaxy of grey stars when you didn't hold it up to the light, and an actual xray when you did... Which, I guess is pretty cool in and of itself.

Tags: X-Ray, "X-Ray"
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:57 am

I have a friend that has a Vinyl Recorder, and we cut on x-rays yesterday with no problem whatsoever... i was FLOORED. When I tried cutting with my Presto and a sapphire stylus, it was awful. But the xrays actually sound pretty good. Not quite as good as polycArb, but totally listenable!
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Jccc

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 am

Anyone have any good results cutting with a sapphire needle?

if so how did you set up the cutting head and weight?

I'm using a Presto 6n with a Audax cutting head. Ive messed around with different angles and weights and have gotten bad results on all test cuts.

Any help would be great.

piaptk

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:20 am

I tried this again for a while with a sapphire... both cutting and embossing...Doesn't work at all.

Jccc

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:03 am

Thank you for the reply. i came that conclusion as well. Its weird because the x-ray feels almost like a plastic picnic plate just a little thinner. Maybe its the material that's on it that make it cut messed up with the sapphire.

piaptk

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 am

Ive tries cutting on film that doesnt have that weird matte brown sheeen on it, and it doesnt work either. Ive got one of The Shanks diamonds unused in the box, but im kind of gun shy to use it on xrays right now...

powerstrip

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:31 am

piaptk wrote:I tried this again for a while with a sapphire... both cutting and embossing...Doesn't work at all.
I'm trying this right now too, pretty horrid, the chip does interfere with the stylus. Getting decent swarf but still pretty awful noise ratio.

Found a whole ton of MRI's/x-rays in an old hospital recently, lucked out but now I think I may have to order a diamond stylus to do this. 6N + sapphire = my setup = not good for x-ray apparently.

Jccc

Re: Xray records

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:27 am

so i picked up a Diamond needle from The Shank and i cut a xray and got really good results!

Any other needle will not work on a xray.

Museum Music

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Jccc wrote:so i picked up a Diamond needle from The Shank and i cut a xray and got really good results!

Any other needle will not work on a xray.
Hi xray Trolls,
For my first post : picture of an xray cut.
Diamond stylus.
Awful Surface noise but encouraging !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Fela Borbone

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:09 pm

I found out that not all x-ray sheets are the same. Some have a thin film on it, like laserdiscs. Some thicker. What works with ones dont apply to others.
also they are easily spoiled if not treated very carefully.
If you have a lot, try to separate different kinds, before getting mad!

Museum Music

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:08 am

Second attempt. Much better sound. Only one skip. Swarf nearly impossible to go through vacuum tube, sticks on the sheet. Got ugly scratched from trying to get rid of them... Any tips to clean the grooves without getting scratches?Image

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

symatic

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:03 am

the comments on the original article posted here are amazing, they answer a lot of questions.

I still would like to know what the postcard cutters were though - it sounds like maybe an eastern-european invention that would have made its way further east to the guys pirating this stuff.

theres a great note in the comments of the article about guys stealing public phone components to make electric guitar pickups - electric guitars were also banned.

My friend gave me some X-rays, i'll have to wait till I'm cutting with diamond until i can try them out though!

punkrock

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Anyone tried cutting one of this using a Vinylrecorder recently? I did ask Souri a couple years ago and he told me it was possible but I'd destroy the stylus FAST, Haven't tried it yet, which is a pitty 'cause I could get an endless supply of X-Rays if I wanted...

symatic

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:56 am

my knowledge of Vinyl Recorders is limited cos I don't have one of my own, but I understand it cuts quite hot - so maybe this would contribute to excessive wear on the stylus?

I'd be interested in gettng some more X-Rays to experiment with from you though :)