Andrews Sisters recording V Disc - 4 Prestos

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Techie

Andrews Sisters recording V Disc - 4 Prestos

Wed May 20, 2015 11:57 pm

Stumbles on this video. The Andrews Sisters recording Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy for a V Disc. The end of the video shows cutting room with 4 Presto lathes. It looks like they're cutting 16" at 33 1/3. I always assumed they would have run at 78rpm in that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyR97d9hi84

W.B.

Re: Andrews Sisters recording V Disc - 4 Prestos

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:48 am

By the time of that Andrews Sisters' session, some recording companies - namely Columbia but, as of 1947 when Bing Crosby cut his second version of "White Christmas," Decca - recorded individual tracks simultaneously on 16" 33⅓ RPM reference acetates (vertical-cut, I.I.N.M.) as well as two 78 RPM lacquers for sending to the pressing plants. This would be a boon to Columbia at the point they introduced the LP record in 1948, in the years before the Ampex 200 magnetic tape recorder first appeared in recording studios in 1948-49.