Old stereo cutter by Rein Narma (Fairchild)

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Schetteb

Old stereo cutter by Rein Narma (Fairchild)

Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Hello to everybody,

is there anyone who could help me by sending me a PDF or a scan of this publication? Unfortunately we don't have this journal in the university library. Greetings to all!

(Einen schönen guten Abend an alle! Gibt es in diesem Forum jemanden, der mir mit einem Scan oder einem PDF von folgendem Artikel helfen könnte? Das wäre wirklich unendlich hilfreich! Beste Grüße!)

A New Stereo Feedback Cutterhead System
R Narma, NJ Anderson - Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, 1959, Volume 7 Issue 4 pp. 153-159
This paper describes the development of a high-quality stereophonic feedback disc cutter
system.

markrob

Re: Old stereo cutter by Rein Narma (Fairchild)

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi,

I have a pdf copy of the AES reprint. If you PM me with your email, I'll pass it along. There is also a slightly more detailed version of the paper on the design of this head in the AES Disk Recording anthology Vol 1. It includes schematics of the amplifier. You can see how the RF eddy current bridge was implemented. I might be able to scan this for you. Great paper on a different approach to cutterhead feedback. I've been wanting to give something like this a try.

Mark

Schetteb

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:29 am

Thank you a lot, Mark. You got a PM. I am very curious how the Narma design works in detail. We are going to evaluate and test several different dransducer systems including finite element method to get more detailed information about the systems rigidity and so on. I am looking forward to your email. Greetings, Bernd

markrob

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Hi,

Yes. That's what I have here. I also have the version in the anthology that has a few more details.

studiorp

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Mark, have you a link for download your document complete ?
Thanks.

Schetteb

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello everybody!
No, I think the PDF is a conference paper from 1958 and not this one from 1959, which I would like to have:

A New Stereo Feedback Cutterhead System
R Narma, NJ Anderson - Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, 1959, Volume 7 Issue 4 pp. 153-159

It should be this one, I think:
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=559

Many thanks, Bernd

markrob

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:35 pm

Hi,

I just scanned this to PDF from the AES anthology, but I don't want to post it here as I believe its still under copyright. I didn't get a PM from you with your email. I send you a copy if you provide me with a contact and make sure not to distribute it.

Mark

Schetteb

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Thank you, Mark. You should have a PM now. I already tried it, but obviously I failed ...
Thanks a lot!!!