Emery Cook related

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mossboss

Emery Cook related

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:28 am

Watching an Australian film " The last Goldfish" on a qantas flight to somewhere, as one does to pass the time, I was quite surprised to see some footage about this guy, in the movie, there is a fair bit of information as well as some photos on this characters enterprises in Trinidad in the movie

The movie is about a girl who is looking into the family history, she finds out that her father was a German Jew who was arrested by the gestapo in 1938, after his release a few days later he gets out of Germany and finds his way to Trinidad where amongst other things he does to make a living, he becomes the general manager of Cook records, recording company etc
His daughter, while searching the family tree and relatives finds all theses things out about her father Manfred Goldfich
Never seen much on that guy emery, neither was I looking for anything, it was just a very interesting coincidence, for those who are interested it's a good bit of info, the movie ain't a blockbuster but quite an interesting tale
Best
Chris

socialroots

Re: Emery Cook related

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks for the link up boss man! The key words that stuck out for me was Trinidad, Cook records.
Golden era of the calypso recordings, orchestras, pretty amazing performances by musicians in their primes, very highlevel of musical arrangements. 78s that were pretty much pressed in england at this point in history. Now gotta find out how , n where to view this flick, or as dem say inna west indies, flimshow!
Maximum respect,
pAtrick

SONARC

Re: Emery Cook related

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Hey there Chris -
I saw this a while back, but was checking back on some old topics I bookmarked, and found the timing was a bit interesting, as I just managed to score another addition to my Emory Cook collection this past week at a Record Convenmtion in Seattle, WA. This time, it was a 1961 red vinyl pressing of Le Jazz Primitif; recorded in Trinidad. It's always exciting when I stumble upon another Cool recording I don't already have, but this was especially cool, as the vinyl was in very nice condition, and the music is vital! I looked up "The Last Goldfish", and found that the production company, Umbrella Entertainment, has made it available on DVD as of last year; also on vimeo, either to rent or purchase. I'll be checking that out pretty soon; it sounds like an interesting story on its' own, but the added glimpse at more of Cook Laboratories is enticing indeed. Thanks for the tip!!