GeorgeZ

Neumann VMS-82, VMS-80, SAL-82 or SAL-84 service manuals

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:53 am

Do you know of any available (printed or electronic) service manuals for the latest Neumann cutting gear?

We are interested in Neumann VMS-82, VMS-80, SAL-82 or SAL-84 service manuals and any other documentation or papers regarding these devices.

Thanks a lot for any info or contact.
Jiri Zita
Premastering manager
GZ Vinyl / GZ Media Lodenice
Czech Republic

mossboss

VMS

Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi George
The scientoligist's? May be Steve will have some idea
on another point as it seems relevant
See this and give us your view
It is proposed for post's like yours
https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=1491&highlight=&mforum=lathetrolls
Cheers
Chris

GeorgeZ

Re: VMS

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:34 am

mossboss wrote:Hi George
The scientoligist's? May be Steve will have some idea
on another point as it seems relevant
See this and give us your view
It is proposed for post's like yours
https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=1491&highlight=&mforum=lathetrolls
Cheers
Hi Mossboss,

I would be surprised if the scientologist's had the Neumann's original documentation. I think that somebody else repairs all their equipment. Our cutters were in contact with the guys from Neumann in the past and according to their advices they rebuilt and modified many parts of our gear. Now they are getting older:-(, some of them plan to retire or go out of business and probably will forget some important procedures later. We (younger generation:-)) need to learn all the tips and tricks as soon as possible and want to be able to repair all the equipment by ourself. So we need any documentation available.

I know that any service documentation for any cutting equipment is a valuable resource in these days but I think we should share our knowledge and know-how with the rest of community.

We prepare a major upgrade to our vinyl mastering system - both VMS lathes with complete cutting process controlled from PC, with new hardware parts, measurement interfaces and our dedicated mastering software for simulation of groove geometry, distortions and space consumption. We have cut more than one hundred plates with this system and it seem to be very promising. If any of you is interested in more details or maybe screenshots I can post here something.

But as you know, all the old Neumann parts need to be serviced too and all the new toys are useless if something inside the VMS lathe or the SAL rack is broken and our technicians are not able to quickly solve the problem. So there is my request for any detailed documentation for these devices.

I will look at the topic mentioned by you. As you have probably noticed I'm not an English native speaker so I have to think more and carefully about most posts here and only after that I can try to write something meaningful. :-)
Jiri Zita
Premastering manager
Czech Republic

mossboss

VMS 80's

Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:14 am

Hi George
You perefectly correct The reason for suggesting scientologist is the fact that they have the latest VMS that Neumannn ever made (Ithink)
It was at Europadisc in NY and have bought it so as to Cut Mr Hubbards speaches in copper for archival purposes
It is my Belief that a full set of documentation was with the lathe and it went along with it
Portal in the UK produces the copper plates for them so they will know where other DMM lathes are as they are the only ones who make the plates I think there is a German outfit that also does it so here are a couple of tips for you
The machines are getting on now but they do not break down mechanically
May be a few hard belts and the uni joint that drives the platter but in my view any competent machinist can take care of all that stuff
Electronics??? that is another question Some of the IC's Neumann used are being snapped up for spares in the Aero industry and they pay megabucks for them so it has been a problem for a few years now
Still your request is fair and well based
Further you have a good command of English despite what you say
I cannot help with manuals as our lathe is an earlier version VMS 70 but we do have a fair swag of spares I buy as I see them comming on the market
There are quite a lot of common copmponents any way so you may be in luck in some cases
If we have it we will offer it at whatever it cost us but only to fix a broken down machine not to sell on
Cheers
Chris

GeorgeZ

Re: VMS 80's

Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:41 am

Hi Mossboss,

yes I know the story about scientologists, Europadisk and their lathe from several posts and web pages of Steve Berson. He has a good overview of all working DMM lathes and cutting studios (http://totalsonicmastering.com/dmm.htm). He is a big supporter and "advocate" of DMM technology as I have noticed.

Our lathes have numbers 31 and 35 so I think we also have two of the latest lathes ever made :-) But of course we don't want to compete with them, they have followers also here in the Czech Republic so it is better to let them do their own business.

I've also tried to contact several people who know about DMM lathes not being used (one in museum, one broken, one packed in store-house) but without success. Nobody wants to sell it now even for big amount of money and the spare parts are vanishing slowly. Hard days seem to come for DMM cutters :-(

We also have one VMS-70 as a backup or for an occasional lacquer cutting, and some spare parts for it too, thanks for offer.

Later I will probably start a new topic about particular problems we have with our lathes and will hope somebody has enough experience and knows how to solve them.
Jiri Zita
Premastering manager
Czech Republic

emorritt

Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:43 am

Scientologists and a DMM lathe? All I can imagine would be something like "L. Ron Hubbard's Greatest Hits" and sounding something like a William Shatner LP from the 60's... :shock:

jtransition

Re: Neumann VMS-82, VMS-80, SAL-82 or SAL-84 service manuals

Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:45 pm

GeorgeZ wrote:Do you know of any available (printed or electronic) service manuals for the latest Neumann cutting gear?

We are interested in Neumann VMS-82, VMS-80, SAL-82 or SAL-84 service manuals and any other documentation or papers regarding these devices.

Thanks a lot for any info or contact.
George,
Have you spoken to Sean Davies or Vylinium?
Email me if you need contact details
Jason

flozki

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:14 am

george.
vinylium can help.for sure.just have to pay them propperly.
even if your lathe is totally down.
if not. let me know.

flo
vms82
serial-nr.40
the last one?

GeorgeZ

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:37 am

flozki wrote:george.
vinylium can help.for sure.just have to pay them propperly.
even if your lathe is totally down.
if not. let me know.

flo
vms82
serial-nr.40
the last one?
Hi Flo,

so you are the winner? :-) Or Steve B. knows about any bigger serial number for VMS-82? :o

We use Vinylium only for repairs of our SX-84 heads now, but if we was in serious troubles and our technicians weren't able to repair our lathes, we would contact Vinylium for sure. Thanks.
But for us it is much better to train our technicians to be able to repair everything by ourself. We need to grow up a new generation of technicians and cutters.
Jiri Zita
Premastering manager
Czech Republic

Simon

Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:02 am

GeorgeZ wrote:
flozki wrote: But for us it is much better to train our technicians to be able to repair everything by ourself. We need to grow up a new generation of technicians and cutters.

I agree with what you are saying.

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=1491&mforum=lathetrolls
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

TotalSonic

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:34 am

Europadisk did in fact have schematics and manuals for both the VMS-82 and SAL-84. I don't know whether they were complete and I don't know exactly who won these at the auction - but I believe they went with the main lathe (which included the cutter head and amps) - which was won by the Scientologists.

As far as who might have documentation here in the USA - I'd first contact Al Grundy as he is the one person here with the most experience with repairing and reconditioning Neumann mastering equipment. You can pm me at steve at totalsonic dot net for his contact info if you don't already have this.

Jim Stone (the former head mastering engineer of now closed K-Disc) was acting as technical consultant for the Scientologists at the Europadisk auction - I don't know his contact info but I'd assume he lives in California. I believe the Scientologist's first DMM lathe was purchased from K-Disc back in the early 90's. I got to meet Jim at the auction and like Al Grundy he's one of the few people left in this world who knows truly a ton about vinyl mastering - so if you can track him down perhaps he can help you.

Other possibilities:
Masterdisk here in NYC have a VMS-82 that was modified to cut lacquer - maybe they have documentation for it. Ray Janos at Sterling Sound also is very knowledgeable and might have documentation as well - and they use a VMS-80 there.

Otherwise I would contact the other studios that are still operating DMM lathes listed on my directory. I know all of you are supposed "competitors" but fact is if DMM is to survive forward beyond the next 10 years (prior to most likely retirement of the handful of people left who can repair and support the gear now) banding together and creating a shared knowledge base is probably the only for that to happen.

Personally I feel a large and diverse plant such as GZ, along with some one with interest and dedication such as yourself, is the best combination of resources to make this happen. Frankly - after having participated in a couple "shoot outs" between tests made of the same material to lacquer and DMM - I truly feel DMM in many cases can offer a superior representation (people truly haven't heard how excellent reproduction can be until you listen to a fresh cut copper mother) - and think it would be a shame for it to disappear. Best of luck on keeping it going!

Best regards,
Steve Berson